Internal temperature of s.e.x. amp?

Jim R. · 8507

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: November 25, 2009, 05:04:17 PM
I'm considering using the new high temp series of Jupiter caps for the parafeed caps in my s.e.x. amp but don't know what to expect in terms of internal temps.  If it helps, the base of my amp is cut down to a height of 2.5" but will be mounted so that there is probably at least a 3/8" gap all the way around.

Also, if anybody has any experience with a teflon tube socket vs. a quality ceramic (Azuma) I'd appreciate hearing about it.  I have both availble in my stash.  I'm leaning towards the teflon for their reported lessening of microphonics in some amps, but the azumas have hard copper with direct gold plated pins and have a real death-grip on tube pins.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 05:38:37 PM
I would use the Azumas, but be sure to use a tube that will allow the use of the supplied O-ring. 

As for the operating temperatures, 70 degrees celcius seems reasonably to use in a SEX amp, but I will ramp mine up tonight and plunk the oven thermometer underneath just to check.

-Paul

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:30:06 PM
For what it's worth, the earlier Jupiters did have problems in the SEX amp, more than once. They were used as parafeed caps, and sounded great but shorted out after a while. There are some in Doc B's big headphone amp which have lasted well for several years; that amp has perforated plate top and bottom for good ventilation.

Personally I recommend 85C ratings for everything under the hood. But I believe a number of people have used the lower-rated M-caps with success. Hopefully some of them will post in this thread...

Paul Joppa

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 06:25:04 AM
Thanks, Pauls :-).  Looks like the new Jupiters are good for a steady state 70c or approx 160 F, so if I can keep them far enough away from the hotter parts, they may be fine... I think.

No time for building today, time to go and start cooking.

Thanks again,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Rick58

Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 07:50:42 AM
For what it's worth, the earlier Jupiters did have problems in the SEX amp, more than once. They were used as parafeed caps, and sounded great but shorted out after a while. There are some in Doc B's big headphone amp which have lasted well for several years; that amp has perforated plate top and bottom for good ventilation.

Personally I recommend 85C ratings for everything under the hood. But I believe a number of people have used the lower-rated M-caps with success. Hopefully some of them will post in this thread...
I have been using Mundorf Silver/Oils (55C rating) as parafeed caps in my Paramount (300B version) for over a year, no apparent problems. I know the 300B version runs 'cooler' than the 2A3 version. One end of the cap is about 1" from one of the cathode bias/heater resistors. I think these resistors are the hottest things under the hood.

STURMJ is using (new) Jupiters in his as well:   http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,251.0.html
he has his mounted against the base wall, about 3" away from the resistors, and 'sideways' to them.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 08:23:21 AM by Rick58 »

Paramount 300Bs (Sophia Princess mesh plates, Siemens & Halske NOS 12AT7s, V-Cap coupling and Mundorf Silver/Oil parafeed cap upgrades, nice!)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 08:27:03 AM
For what it's worth, the earlier Jupiters did have problems in the SEX amp, more than once. They were used as parafeed caps, and sounded great but shorted out after a while.

Were the old Jupiters foil with wax dielectric, or did they also have paper in them?  I'm wondering if they added paper to somehow stabilize any wax that softened up and changed thickness. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Len

Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 08:33:21 AM
For what it's worth, the earlier Jupiters did have problems in the SEX amp, more than once. They were used as parafeed caps, and sounded great but shorted out after a while.

Were the old Jupiters foil with wax dielectric, or did they also have paper in them?  I'm wondering if they added paper to somehow stabilize any wax that softened up and changed thickness. 

Or maybe they changed the wax. The original Jupiters that I have were advertised as being made from beeswax.

Hmmm, maybe they changed to equatorial bees.

Paramours
Paraglows
Excites
Heavily modded Soul Sister and Groove Thang
Quickie modded to active low pass filter
Quickie modded to headphone amp
Lots of Bottlehead parts used for building other stuff