Audio Technica (solid bass) Cans w/ the Crack

matthewmckay · 1732

Offline matthewmckay

on: February 13, 2012, 12:58:36 PM
So I took the crack to the office this morning to show one of my coworkers how much better a set of headphones would sound with an appropriate amp...  I have been using the MB Quart QP 400(open), and QP 805(closed) headphones with my crack build so far, and I am very pleased with the combination.

What was unexpected about this venture was a third coworker wanting to try out some audio technica headphones that he had just purchased.  He is young, and listens primarily to dubstep and other electronica music. After reading a bunch of consumer reports, he decided on getting the ATs for their advertised (superior) bass reproduction. 

ATH-WS70 Solid Bass Over-Ear Headphones
               http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/70ce10877fe416bc/index.html

For only being 47ohm headphones, I did not think that they were going to mate very well with the crack amp.  I could not have been more mistaken in my assumption.  They are more forward in their presentation than the MB Quarts, but the bass from this combination is incredible, easily surpassing any previous reproduction of electronica that I have encountered.  I am astonished at how tight and agile that the pair performs on complex bass tracks.  I never had the chance to listen to other music genres through the headphones, but if you're primarily into electronica, techno, or other dance music, and find yourself on the fence about building a crack, DO IT.. and check out a pair of these.