Low output impedance from OTL tube amp?

adamct · 3017

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
on: February 21, 2012, 11:42:35 AM
Please excuse this ignorant post - I don't understand most of the technical background to...well, just about anything.

I am trying to choose between a SEX and a Smack. I have a variety of headphones with wildly different impedances (25 to 300 Ohm) and sensitivities (from Denons to HiFiMANs). I was initially attracted to the Smack, since it has an output transformer, and I had understood that tube amps have high output impedance unless they also use an output transformer. The high impedance of most OTL tube amps made they a poor match for low impedance, high sensitivity cans (like my Denons).

On the other hand, I question whether the Smack can authoritatively drive my HiFiMAN HE-400s and (if I get them) HE-500s. That led me back to the SEX, and I saw that it can be set up for 4, 8, 16 or 32 Ohm output impedance.

Finally, the question: How is it possible for the SEX to have such low output impedance, even without an output transformer?

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:37:14 PM

Finally, the question: How is it possible for the SEX to have such low output impedance, even without an output transformer?

It's not. The S.E.X. does indeed use output transformers.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 02:35:49 PM
Adam,

You might be thinking of the Crack which is OTL.  Check the product page:

http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 06:09:48 PM
Well, that answers that one...D'OH!!!