Shorting Headphone Jack Installation Question

dbishopbliss · 9518

Offline dbishopbliss

on: November 28, 2009, 06:56:15 AM
I'm building my S.E.X. amp with the upgraded iron and the shorting jack from the start. 

I attached two lengths of the teflon twisted pair to the left and right speaker output terminals.  Then I used the continuity checker of my DMM to determine which of the wires were connected to red (+ positive) and which were connected to black (- negative). 

As instructed, I connected the left positive wire to J7 and and the right positive wire to J3 of the shorting jack.  Then I connected the negative wires to the ground terminal of the headphone jack. 

For a final check, I measured between the different terminals.  I was surprised to discover that there is continuity between the positive and negative speaker terminals of the left channel, but not between the right speaker terminals. 

So here is my question...  Should there be continuity between both terminals?

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 05:50:54 PM
In case anyone cares... I discovered that the wire running to T5 was not soldered.  Once I soldered the wire, both terminals indicate continuity.  At least now both channels behave the same, so I'm guessing the answer is, "Yes, both channels should have continuity".

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline JIPPER

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 07:22:11 PM
sorry I couldn't help but I have the same steps waiting for me on my workbench.  I am also building a sex amp with MQ iron and the shorting jack at the same time. 

I drew out a diagram based on shawn's directions. No help to you though as I wouldn't know for sure what reading you are supposed to get. One difficulty is just reading the terminal numbers on the jack.

Finding T5, and the continuity, make sense to me. 

JP