Top plate question

Pfenning · 1758

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
on: February 26, 2012, 05:03:49 AM
I'm considering purchasing a quickie and wondered if there is a CAD file available for the top plate. I have a waterjet at my shop and would like to cut my own top plate from aluminum, brass or stainless steel. Is the Quicky designed for a plastic top plate only, or can conductive materials be used?

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:56:10 AM
The tube used in the Quickie is often fairly microphonic - a consequence of the tiny wire filament that gives low battery drain. In addition to cutting the cost significantly, the acrylic is better damped mechanically. If you use metal, give some thought to vibration isolating tube sockets. You may have to invent such a thing, old stock are few and far between, and probably stiff with age to boot!

Make sure the RCA jacks are isolated from the chassis if it is metal; there should be only one point at which the chassis is connected to the circuit ground - T3 which is adjacent to the tube sockets will do so when it is mounted, and T8 is not used so it won't be a problem.

The presence of a conductive plate will serve as a ground plane, reducing sensitivity to electromagnetic interference.

Don't forget to read the sticky about reversing the D-cell connections!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:58:38 AM by Paul Joppa »

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:12:11 PM
Hello Pfenning,

With Doc's permission, I can send you a DXF for the Quickie chassis plate.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man