crossover wiring

John Roman · 3339

Offline John Roman

on: February 29, 2012, 05:35:42 AM
Unbelievably I'm making progress on the completion of my BassZilla speaker project. I'm really making an effort at what I hope turns out to be a visually interesting look. Specifically the wiring of the crossover in such a way that functionality meets beauty. I realize that may sound over the top but I really want the wiring of the crossovers to look smart and clean. I have a grill/speaker cover idea in the works that I hope I can eventually incorporate some sort of subdued accent lighting. Of course this won't get done in the next millennium so at least I'm not in a rush... :).
Where can I go online to look at some wiring efforts to get some ideas?
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline corndog71

Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:03:22 AM

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline John Roman

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 05:25:50 AM
Thanks Rob!

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 05:48:46 AM
John,

I'm sure that alternating the axis of the inductors helps to keep down magnetic interactions between them.  But I am also sure that moving them away from each other does the same thing.  Since we are talking about speaker level signals there is no need to make the layout tight, not at all!  

The coils could be at the drivers, or near the drivers.  I imagine that would keep them away from each other.  

Think outside the box (God!  I hate that cliche).  But I think that is applicable here.

Offline John Roman

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 06:53:18 AM
Hey Grainger,
Thinking outside the box is my current excuse for the unending saga of this build. Thanks for the tips!
John

Regards,
John

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 04:51:28 AM
The Basszilla looks like a cool build - recommendation on the inductor - North Creek makes great stuff. I got the 10AWG .7mH for my maggie. You can also get 8AWG! Thats a ton of copper! Much better than 12AWG copper foil air core. Actually I just removed it and I'm now listening without a coil. Better in some ways but not huge. With a 2 way plannar I may be able to get away with this. I had to tweak the caps on the tweeter to blend it in, but it sounds very good.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 04:57:46 AM
For an SET driven speaker system #8 would be a little bit of overkill.

Offline John Roman

Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 06:19:41 AM
Thanks guy's,
The design spec was 16 awg. on all the inductors so I'm going to adhere to that for now. I really need to complete these before my desire to change things gets more in the way.

Regards,
John