Tone controls, I know, I know............................

shelby1420 · 9469

Offline shelby1420

Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 09:59:56 AM
To add to the smoke, there were questions about equalizers.  A tone control acts over a much, much wider frequency band than the typical equalizer.  Even the most rudimentary five band equalizer acts much different than a tone control. 

I feel your pain but I kind of knew you were going to end up here.  The answer I see is to build a dedicated power supply for the tone controls and put them before your preamplifier.

MERDE!!!!!

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline shelby1420

Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 02:31:42 PM
Hmmmmmmm, what about some type of cut of the upper frequencies, maybe with a low value cap or something on the input, does that make any sense????  Something I could put a switch to bypass or engage depending on the recording...........

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 03:30:19 PM
Rick - I think what people are trying to say is that the best approach is to try to keep it simple. Your overabundance of 'highs' may be best attacked first from the speaker end. Not sure what you have. I have serious reservations about how most crossovers are put together. Good caps make a huge difference in sound. If yours speakers are not up to snuff, I would replace them or build some from the ground up. Then you know what you are hearing and can fine tune IMHO.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline shelby1420

Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 05:00:22 AM
Rick - I think what people are trying to say is that the best approach is to try to keep it simple. Your overabundance of 'highs' may be best attacked first from the speaker end. Not sure what you have. I have serious reservations about how most crossovers are put together. Good caps make a huge difference in sound. If yours speakers are not up to snuff, I would replace them or build some from the ground up. Then you know what you are hearing and can fine tune IMHO.

Hi there, I understand your point, however, its not the system that I have issues with-- its a few bad recordings I would like to make listenable...........  My system consists of the Stereomour with Solen teflon caps in the coupling position and Mundorf Silver Gold and Oil in the output position, Cornscala's with Mundorf  Mcaps in the crossovers ( love these speakers!!!) And the Eros with Mundorf Silver Gold and Oil in the output position.  Love the entire system, best it has ever sounded, its poor recordings I am trying to work around.................. so what I was thinking was some type of rolloff doohicky that I can bypass for 70-75% of my recordings because they sound brilliant but engage if I so desire for the 20-25% of crappy less then stellar recordings....................

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline ralph

Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 06:56:04 AM
Digitize the problem recordings then tweak them with logic or whatever audio software you use. this seems a much better approach than to degrade your system by adding a tone control.

Ralph
Taos

Ralph Howey     
Taos, New Mexico

Offline shelby1420

Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 06:59:34 AM
Digitize the problem recordings then tweak them with logic or whatever audio software you use. this seems a much better approach than to degrade your system by adding a tone control.

Ralph
Taos

Hey Ralph, I don't have a cd player yet alone software to tweak, vinyl only.............

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Grainger49

Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 09:15:04 AM
Rick,

I think you are on the right track with a low pass filter to take out those offending highs as you posted above.  An RC network that can be cut in and out would work.

The formula is 1/2(Pi)RC; this formula gives the 3dB down point of the filter.  You take a capacitor and pot to ground.  This shunts high frequencies to ground.  The pot should have the center lug (wiper) soldered to one or the other lug.  This makes it a variable resistor, from zero to the full value of the pot.

Does this make sense?  If not I can explain better.

Offline shelby1420

Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 10:23:38 AM
Rick,

I think you are on the right track with a low pass filter to take out those offending highs as you posted above.  An RC network that can be cut in and out would work.

The formula is 1/2(Pi)RC; this formula gives the 3dB down point of the filter.  You take a capacitor and pot to ground.  This shunts high frequencies to ground.  The pot should have the center lug (wiper) soldered to one or the other lug.  This makes it a variable resistor, from zero to the full value of the pot.

Yahoo!!!!! This is exactly what I am looking for Grainger, something that is easily bypassed except for those really bad pressings!!!!  Gotta go pick up the kids but would love to pick your brain later if I could, thanks !!!!

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline shelby1420

Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 04:25:30 PM
Rick,

Yahoo!!!!! This is exactly what I am looking for Grainger, something that is easily bypassed except for those really bad pressings!!!!  Gotta go pick up the kids but would love to pick your brain later if I could, thanks !!!!

Hey Grainger, was just yakkin with a buddy of mine who says his Fender amp uses a pott that tuns off ( disengaged) and then turns on, I could use this , ya??

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Grainger49

Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 04:54:52 PM
If I understand you correctly, that would do.  Even better if it is a stereo pot to control both channels at the same time.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 05:08:00 PM

Hi there, I understand your point, however, its not the system that I have issues with-- its a few bad recordings I would like to make listenable...........  My system consists of the Stereomour with Solen teflon caps in the coupling position and Mundorf Silver Gold and Oil in the output position, Cornscala's with Mundorf  Mcaps in the crossovers ( love these speakers!!!) And the Eros with Mundorf Silver Gold and Oil in the output position.  Love the entire system, best it has ever sounded, its poor recordings I am trying to work around.................. so what I was thinking was some type of rolloff doohicky that I can bypass for 70-75% of my recordings because they sound brilliant but engage if I so desire for the 20-25% of crappy less then stellar recordings....................
[/quote]

Ok, now I'm getting it! Sorry, I didnt know the specifics..Ok - crappy recordings - I can relate on that issue. Much of rock is crappy. Much of my FAVORITE rock is crappy. Here has been my solution from my system standpoint. I have upsampled my redbook to 24/96 using Sox with min. phase filter. This has solved much of the 'crappy recording' digititis. I like redbook as much as native 24/96 when it is upsampled with Sox using min. phase. Sorry, but other upsamplers need not apply. I havent tried Weiss Saracon 1.6 because it costs $1500. Still, better recordings sound better! At least the crappy recordings are enjoyable, and very listenable. Sometimes the remasters are better (Beatles, Floyd, Yes, Rush, etc.).  I appreciate your efforts in your hobby. I can also appreciate your frustrations!

P.S. - love the Mundorfs!

Eric

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 04:05:05 AM
oops! - Sorry again Rick - Just realized you're a vinyl guy. My bad.

Eric

Offline shelby1420

Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 05:46:43 AM
oops! - Sorry again Rick - Just realized you're a vinyl guy. My bad.

Hey, no worries, I really appreciate all the input guys!!!

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 05:58:16 AM
It may be possible to make a passive tone control, perhaps with a limited boost capability to maintain enough ain. With the Eros, you probably have ore than enough gain and can spare some for the tone controls. I'll look into it when I am back - you might need to remind me though ...  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline shelby1420

Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 06:39:50 AM
Awesome Paul, thanks!!! And , will do!!!

Enjoying the music

Rick