Tone controls, I know, I know............................

shelby1420 · 9470

Offline shelby1420

Hey guys, for 65% of my vinyl I love the way my Stereomouur + Eros sound, however the other 35% sound like ass, looking to add some tone controls to my Stereomour...........  will this work and if so How???? http://www.tubedepot.com/diy-k-tl.html

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline shelby1420

Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:25:34 AM
Anyone, pretty please??................................

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 09:38:04 AM
Rick,

Looking at the "specs" it requires some high voltage and heater voltage from your amplifier.  I don't know that the Stereomour has that much to spare as it is sized for the 2A3 and the driver tube. 

Someone more familiar with the transformer will have to speak up.

Conceptually, this is what you want. 

Offline Paully

Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:02:14 AM
I wouldn't know anything on this for sure, so I will pose this as a question.  Wouldn't an equalizer in between the pre and the steromour be a whole lot easier, or are you not using a preamp?

Offline shelby1420

Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 10:10:56 AM
I wouldn't know anything on this for sure, so I will pose this as a question.  Wouldn't an equalizer in between the pre and the steromour be a whole lot easier, or are you not using a preamp?

Also thinking of this option as well......... not sure if I can though, never used an EQ before...........

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline shelby1420

Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 10:11:30 AM
Rick,

Looking at the "specs" it requires some high voltage and heater voltage from your amplifier.  I don't know that the Stereomour has that much to spare as it is sized for the 2A3 and the driver tube. 

Someone more familiar with the transformer will have to speak up.

Conceptually, this is what you want. 

Hey Grainger, this is exactly what worried me about the idea...............

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 06:18:23 PM
Hey Rick -

What sort of sound are you looking for that you dont have, or possibly what is it that you have that you dont want?

What I'm thinking is that there may be a better way than a tone control.

Eric

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 07:15:13 PM
I'm on vacation but just spotted this. I can't see any specs for what power is needed, so there's no way to guess whether Stereomour can spare that much power.

Paul Joppa

Offline shelby1420

Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 07:14:19 AM
Hey Paul, enjoy your vacation!!!!  Here are a few specs, not sure if its enough or not??
Here is a Stereo Tube Tone Control Kit that is easy to build, and is just fun! The Tube Tone Control utilizes a 5670 triode. TheTone Control is compatible with all "L" Series Amplifiers, it gets its B+ and filament voltage from the Amplifier board and can give a cut or boost of greater than 20 db. One control adjusts the bass for both channels and the other control adjusts the treble also for both channels

The TL Stereo Tube Tone Control comes in kit form (K-TL). The kit comes complete with all the resistors, capacitors, tube, circuit board, and necessary hardware for mounting on a "bread board" (not provided) which is compatible with the amp you purchase or have previously purchased.

Model TL Stereo Tube Tone Control

Specifications:

Input Impedance = 100k ohms
Frequency Response = 20 to 20,000 Hz
Input output connections = Jumpers to Amplifier PC Board
Overall gain (pots at 50%) = 10 to 30 db - set by a resistor
Two channel

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 07:43:59 AM
The spec needed is the operating point of the tube - plate voltage and current. Without that it's not possible to say if there is enough extra power available.

I just looked at the online manual for the Champ amp kit they sell. Very well done, and pretty obvious they looked long and hard at our manuals, even copying and pasting a line or two.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 07:53:08 AM
Judging by the schematics one may find when Googling "S-5 K-8LS tube amp" (I don't want to post any links here, as the schematics are surely copyrighted), the B+ coming off the rectifier bridge and r/c filter looks to be 245V, if that helps any. Not exactly sure how much current the little board would draw for the B+ (8.2mA at 150V is a suggested operating point by the 5670 tube data sheet for class-A use), and how much the Stereomour has in reserve, however.

Perhaps the OP could build in some passive controls with maybe a higher-gain input tube on the Steremour than the 5670?

Offline shelby1420

Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 06:01:06 AM
I have just emailed the Tube Depot with questions posed by Dan in regards to the operating point of the tube - plate voltage and current. and will report back as to findings, thanks for the info guys!!!!

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 08:03:18 AM
They might just say that the circuit is designed to go in their product, not ours.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline shelby1420

Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 08:46:05 AM
They might just say that the circuit is designed to go in their product, not ours.

Hah!!!!! That is exactly what they said, seemed like BS to me but hey, what do I know, almost worth buying to test and see!!!!

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Grainger49

Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 08:55:51 AM
To add to the smoke, there were questions about equalizers.  A tone control acts over a much, much wider frequency band than the typical equalizer.  Even the most rudimentary five band equalizer acts much different than a tone control. 

I feel your pain but I kind of knew you were going to end up here.  The answer I see is to build a dedicated power supply for the tone controls and put them before your preamplifier.