C4S/shunt regulator test

ducati guy · 4608

Offline ducati guy

on: November 30, 2009, 08:46:08 AM
Is there an easy way to test a C4S/shunt regulator combo? I was thinking of hooking it up to the power supply with a load resistor that would approximate the current draw (~52 mA). Reasonable?

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 08:54:08 AM
You mean, hook it up and see if it smokes? That ought to work...

If the shunt regulator can handle all the C4S current then you don't need to simulate the load for a quick check, but the internal voltages and currents won't be the same as in normal operation so a full simulation as you described is a better check.

Paul Joppa

Offline ducati guy

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 08:56:11 AM
Thanks. I'll hook it up and see what happens!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 09:12:37 AM
IIRC, VoltSecond had a test for C4S boards using a 9V battery.  It would test the LED orientation, transistor wiring but I don't know if it gets to the rated current.

Is that possible?

Offline ducati guy

Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 05:18:03 AM
Tried the full power test and everything appears to be working fine. Voltages and current are as expected. Was a bit concerned since I had never had a printed circuit board made before and despite checking many, many times, worried about a mistake in the connections.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 05:41:34 AM
You always worry about the smoke test.  On my first kit, 1965, cheap, Japanese, wrong instructions, wrong schematic (I had to be told I couldn't know), paper/foil/wax cheap caps we (my brother and I) exploded the wax caps on several attempts.  Luckily the kit had extra parts.