resistance measurements

jwagner6 · 1575

Offline jwagner6

on: March 15, 2012, 04:54:18 PM
I am a complete beginner and am having trouble determining the resistance values on the resistors (I don't know if I am saying this right).  For the attenuators I was able to determine the values by following the color coding.  However, I am now on the step where I need to attach the RO1 to RO2 with of a 1K 1/4 W resistor and it is not clear, from the picture, what colors are on the resistor.  I have a pocket multi meter but I cannot get it to register on any setting.  What setting should I put it on?  It does not seem to be sensitive enough to determine the resistance values.  I am not sure.  Has anyone had a similar experience and/or does anyone have any suggestions.  I would like to learn to use the multimeter.  It seems like a more reliable way to go.  Thanks.

Offline vetmed

Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 05:17:01 PM
Try using a pair of clip leads to take your resistance measurements. Using your fingers to hold the resistor's leads against the meter's probes is going to give you poor results. Hope this is helpful, good luck!

Robert Lees

Robert Lees

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:49:47 PM
You don't say whether your meter has 4 or 5 resistance ranges or auto-ranges.  If it has different ranges choose the lowest range that includes the target resistance.  If the resistance is unknown then start in the highest range and go down till it shows "OL" which is overload.  That is below the resistance you are measuring.  Go back up one range and you will get the most accurate measurement.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 01:12:14 AM
As I understand it,  you are at the step of installing the 1Kohm resistors that bridge the Left and right RCA output pairs.   If they are the 5 color band resistors as in my kit,  the color bands are brown, black, black, brown, brown and you should have two of them.   Knowing the colors and then following the advice of Vetmed and Grainger,  you should be able to experiment with your meter as suggested and measure them as 1Kohm (1000 ohms).   Your meter will probably not read them as exactly 1Kohm.  It may measure in the high 990 ohm range or it may measure them slightly over 1Kohm.  And depending on your meter and the ranging, if they measure slightly under 1Kohm it may read out as .998 K or as 998 ohms for example.   My point is that you can visually identify the resistors by color band and then take the opportunity to verify with the meter which is good practice anyway, and will get you familiar with the meter.  On top of that, sometimes it's hard to tell what color you are looking at.  For example, purple can look brown.  So always good to know how to use that meter.  The clip lead idea is very good, and a good idea to pick up a set.  But if you dont have a set now, you should still be able to get a measurement by using your fingers to hold the resistor leads to the meter probes.

Here is a good link to a calculator that allows you to plug in the color bands and tells you what the value is ... http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/resistorcalculator.php
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:16:07 AM by Laudanum »

Desmond G.