Installation of Enhanced Iron and Shorting Jack from the Start

dbishopbliss · 10908

Offline dbishopbliss

I decided not to build my S.E.X. amp stock and build it enhanced from the start.  While the instructions for upgrading the amp are clear, it took me some time and a lot of flipping between pages to figure out how to build it enhanced the first time.  I've tried to use headings and language that correspond to the instructions in the original S.E.X. Manual.  Hopefully, the following posts will be useful to others as well.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 02:38:14 AM
( ) The outermost terminal is GROUND and will have 4 connections attached.  Expanding the hole using a small file, or dremel tool is recommended.

( ) Remove the nut and washer from the shorting headphone jack.  Insert the threaded portion of the headphone jack into the round hole in the front left corner of the chassis from underneath. Orient the headphone jack so terminal J2 is toward the rear and J6 is toward the front of the chassis. Secure on the top side using the included nut and washer.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 02:38:45 AM
( ) Scrape the terminals of the plate chokes with an exacto knife or razor blade to remove any varnish.

( ) Cut two 5-3/4" pieces of Teflon twisted pair and strip all ends back 1/4".  Untwist both ends 1".

( ) Begin with the plate choke on the side nearest the power entry module.  Take one 5-3/4" twisted pair and attach and solder one end of one wire to the terminal WITHOUT the dot on the kraft paper coil wrapper of the plate choke.  Route the twisted pair under terminals 4, 9, and 14.  Using your DMM to test continuity, locate the other end of the same wire and attach it to the upper hole of terminal 11.  Do not solder this connection.

( ) Attach and solder the second wire of the twisted pair to the terminal next to the dot on the kraft paper coil wrapper of the plate choke.  Attach but do not solder the other end of this wire to terminal A2.

( ) Now wire the plate choke on the side nearest the RCA jacks.  Take the remaining 5-3/4" twisted pair and attach and solder one end of one wire to the terminal WITHOUT the dot on the kraft paper coil wrapper of the plate choke.  Route the twisted pair under terminals 24, 29, and 34.  Using your DMM to test continuity, locate the other end of the same wire and attach it to the upper hole of terminal 31.  Do not solder this connection.

( ) Attach and solder the second wire of the twisted pair to the terminal next to the dot on the kraft paper coil wrapper of the plate choke.  Attach but do not solder the other end of this wire to terminal B2.

David B Bliss

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 02:39:16 AM
( ) Begin with the right channel autoformer, nearest the power entry module.  Trim the red wire of the autoformer to fit, to reach the top hole of terminal 5.  Strip back 1/4" , and attach but do not solder the upper hole of terminal 5.

( ) Route the blue wire under terminals 5, 10 and 15, and trim and strip back 1/4" to reach terminal 20.  Attach and solder the blue wire to the lower hole of terminal 20.

( ) Twist the black and orange wires from the autoformer secondary together.  Trim to fit, strip and attach the orange wire to the upper hole of terminal 5.  Solder the upper hole of terminal 5.

( ) Trim to fit and attach the black wire from the secondary to the top hole of terminal 10.  Do not solder terminal 10 yet.

( ) Now wire the left channel autoformer, nearest the RCA jacks.  Trim the red wire of the autoformer to fit, to reach the top hole of terminal 25.  Strip back 1/4" , and attach but do not solder the upper hole of terminal 25.

( ) Route the blue wire under terminals 25, 30 and 35, and trim and strip back 1/4" to reach terminal 40.  Attach and solder the blue wire to the lower hole of terminal 40.

( ) Twist the black and orange wires from the autoformer secondary together.  Trim to fit, strip and attach the orange wire to the upper hole of terminal 25.  Solder the upper hole of terminal 25.

( ) Trim to fit and attach the black wire from the secondary to the top hole of terminal 30.  Do not solder terminal 30 yet.

David B Bliss

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 02:39:48 AM
( ) Attach the lead of a 120 ohm resistor to J6 and the other end to J4 of the headphone jack.  Solder J4 only.

( ) Attach the lead of a 120 ohm resistor to J2 and the other end to J8 of the headphone jack.  Solder J8 only.

( ) Cut a 8" length of teflon twisted pair and strip back the ends 1/4".

( ) Starting between terminals 5 and 10, route the twisted pair over to the center of the chassis, then towards volume pot, under the shielded input wiring and over to the headphone jack.

( ) Attach and solder one wire of one end to upper hole of terminal 10. 

( ) Attach the wire coming from terminal 10 to the ground terminal of the headphone jack.  Do not solder this connection.

( ) Attach and solder the second wire of the twisted pair to the lower hole of terminal 5.

( ) Attach and solder the wire coming from terminal 5 to J2 of the headphone jack.

( ) Cut a 6" length of teflon twisted pair and strip back the ends 1/4".

( ) Starting between terminals 25 and 30, route the twisted pair under terminals 30, 35 and 40, under the shielded input wiring, towards the headphone jack.

( ) Attach and solder one wire of one end to upper hole of terminal 30.

( ) Attach the wire coming from terminal 30 to the ground terminal of the headphone jack.  Do not solder this connection.

( ) Attach and solder the second wire of the twisted pair to the lower hole of terminal 25.

( ) Attach and solder wire coming from terminal 25 to J6 of the headphone jack.

David B Bliss

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 02:44:34 AM
I need to finish the Amplifier circuit section (pages 30 - 32), but will post once I have completed my amp.

David B Bliss