Dimensions of Smack

marty51 · 3845

Offline marty51

on: March 17, 2012, 07:28:14 PM
Hi All,

Does anyone know the envelope dimensions of the Smack amp, especially the height?  It isn't in the specifications as far as I can see.  I have a recess of 9.5 inches high that is determined by WAF.  It would just be too frustrating to order the amp & find it not fit.  Doc recommends this for the HD800's and I am very tempted.

Also, did anyone move the balanced outs to a more accessible point at/on the front?

Thanks

Marty

Marty

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 05:58:42 AM
Hi Marty,

The top plate dimensions are 8" x  10" and the wood base adds about 5/8" to each side.  The base itself is 3-1/2" tall, plus feet -- about 5/16" - 3/8", so a total height to te top plate of slightly less than 4".  Then add the height of the tubes and/or power transformer -- another couple inches, give or take, and your 9.5" should be fine.

I haven't built mine yet, but I will most likely put a 4-pin xlr on the front, or maybe in place of the 1/4" jack. and then I may bring the impedance/balanced/se switches to a new plate at the back to cover the existing d cutouts.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline marty51

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 05:49:48 PM
Thanks, Jim.  Much appreciated.  I will get my order in ASAP.

Martin

Marty