Troubleshooting

Spinifex · 5629

Offline Spinifex

on: March 18, 2012, 06:00:57 PM
Hey, I just finished my build and I have a few problems. I have not gone through it all again, since it's time to quite for the night, but I would appreciate help narrowing down the troubles.

Voltage measures are all 242 V for all 200+ measure points. #16 is at 1.6V and #17 is at 0V. I get nothing for the VAC measures (#4 and #5), but that could be my voltmeter: the lowest setting is 750VAC. The diodes, transistors and capacitors are in the right orientation. I'll post pictures tomorrow, and as I said, would appreciate any idea. Test.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:14:16 AM by WyldRage »

Offline Spinifex

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:02:29 PM
Found my mistake and repaired it. Everything measures nicely, but there's no audio out, which I imagine is due to the TRS phone out. The one I got was not the standard one from the manual. I wired it assuming that 1-2-3 were Left-Right-Ground, but I imagine I was wrong.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 11:47:26 PM
The tip and the next ring out are right and left, although I am not sure of the order.

The outer ring, closest to the cable, is the common for the two channels. 

Offline Spinifex

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 03:44:18 AM
TRS is Left-Right-Ground, I know that. The trouble is the female connector: It's square, with 8 pins going out and I'm not certain which goes where. I have found the right-channel however, left-channel is still dead.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 04:52:48 AM
That is indeed the wrong jack. We can send the correct one out. Email Eileen or give her a call and we'll get one in the mail to you.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Spinifex

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 05:39:58 AM
I remembered I had a Neutrik jack left-over from an old project. I've replaced it and know get a loud hum instead of silence from the left-channel. I'll have to check the joints I guess.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:00:00 AM
Loud hum could be from a lifted ground connection. Check all the ground connections on the left channel first.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Spinifex

Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 02:14:08 PM
I re-soldered the connections on the left side and it works now. It think B5 and B6 might have been touching, but that's the only potential problem I saw.

I'll post some impressions tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.