Best Paramount mods ever

Lee Hankins · 7863

Offline Lee Hankins

on: March 20, 2012, 08:10:50 AM
I will try to make this short.  For a month I was comparing three amplifiers: Yamamoto A-08S (45 and 2A3); DIYTube Get-set Go (6B4G and 6A3); and Paramount with 300B's.  It started out as just a battle between the Yamamoto with TJ-2A3's (and NOS 45's) and the Get-set-Go with NOS tubes.  Just for grins at the last minute I threw the Paramounts into the mix.

First best mod ever!  Use a tube damper on all tubes.  This was first discovered after I started to build and install tube dampers on the TJ 300B's in the Paramounts.  My home made tube dampers really changed the characteristics of the 300B tubes, they became closer to the more detailed sound of a 2A3, I was about to convert the Paramounts to 2A3's which was the main reason for putting the Paramounts into the mix.  My 3/8-7/16" dampers are made from teflon round stock, hole machined to fit each individual tube, slot cut into teflon and then tightened by using an appropriately sized SS hose clamp, sizes of teflon are 2.5", 1.5-1.75", and 1.25", I do not cut a slot in the teflon or use a clamp on 9 pin tubes, just machined to fit, they do not seems to put out as much heat as larger sized tubes.  The teflon really expands with the heat from the tube.  To solve this problem I first was wrapped teflon plummer's tape around the tube, but finally started cutting a slot and using a hose clamp.

Second best Paramount mod ever!   The Paramounts have every mod possible except for the Magnequest upgraded iron.  I had a pair of Magnequest pinstripped TFA-2004 in my now very neglected Paramours.  Taking a tip from PJ I installed the TFA-2004 in the Paramounts, was just completely blowned away with the improvement in the sound.  Without the 2004's the Paramounts were giving the Yamamoto's a hard time as to which sounded better (only after installing the dampers), and with the upgrade, IMHO, the Paramounts sound much better that the Yamamoto.  This is the first time that I have listened to a 300B amp that sound as good or better than a 45 or 2A3 amplifier.

Both mods highly recommended.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/EbakYh8si-BMwIXrxgcQYAlDcu2AeIbd7BQvFFy2w2g?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nvJFQt2usPxMQa9Tpv-FIglDcu2AeIbd7BQvFFy2w2g?feat=directlink

Cordially,
Lee Hankins      
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:57:13 AM by Lee Hankins »

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 08:28:11 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Lee! Got a photo of the dampers? I may need to make 14 or so of them, as I'm running all Paramounts in my system these days.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline BNAL

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 11:31:33 AM
Those are cool dampers. I think I need to look at either making or buying some.

The amps look great as well.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:44:57 AM
Slick! Thanks for the pix.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 11:59:00 AM
Finally got both photos posted correctly.

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline John Roman

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 07:01:02 AM
Hello Lee,
The damper idea is a good one. It's honestly something I've not considered much. I want to do the iron in my Paramount's but am sort of waiting on Magnequest to roll out some sort of group buy. Any suggestion where to buy some of similar quality?
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 07:34:30 AM
Lee,

I hope machined blocks of Teflon don't cost like Teflon Capacitors do.  Can you get Teflon at W.W. Grainger, or a similar supplier?

Back on a non-serious vein, they look like the spaceships in Men In Black (the first one).

Very imaginative (the Teflon clamps)!  Do you use Teflon because of the heat? 

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 11:08:34 AM
Parts Connection has the Duende Tube Rings for the 2A3/300B for $54.00, it cost me $6.00 for the raw material.  Teflon is used because of the heat.  I originally did not use a clamp, just machined the teflon to within .001 of the tubes diameter very tight fit.  The teflon expanded so much that you could spin the ring around the tube, which resulted the cutting of the ring and adding the clamp.  To me the clamp is not very aesthetic looking, but for a saving of $48.00 I can live with the look.  I get my teflon from a Florida Ebay dealer.

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline howardnair

Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 12:54:35 PM
good idea lee--here is a  thought

machine a groove around the outside and use a spring all the way around or where you slice the teflon from one side of slice to the other drill a hole and use a  nut and screw or tap some threads in the teflon and use just a screw--or  a spring just from one side of slice to other-with or with out a groove-i am thinking as i write -on the other hand the teflon with a stainless steel band may just be the perfect solution

Offline mchurch

Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 02:25:17 PM
Lee;

Did you machine the tube holder bases as well or is it something you purchased. I like the look!  Also is there any chance you could post a picture of the underside, I would like to see how you added the extra iron.

Thanks;

Mike

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 04:50:03 PM
Mike, yes I did machine the tube holder bases, I take the term DIY to heart.  Here are two photos, hope they help.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Aa2b-pVRnMWOKkYQOqfdftMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/L-G0TeRn1n1HYeTKPwz1HtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

I am on the way to the airport to travel from Homer, AK to Pine Bluff, AR to attend my fathers funeral, will be gone for a week.  I will answer any questions but will not be able to take any photos until I get back.

Cordially,
Lee Hankins
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:56:22 PM by Lee Hankins »

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline mchurch

Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 05:25:58 PM
Lee;

Very sorry to hear about your Father please accept my condolences on your loss.

Safe trip!

Mike

Offline Lee Hankins

Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 06:06:40 AM
I am back until Monday, will be bouncing around in the Gulf of Alaska commercial Halibut fishing, wish me good weather.

Yesterday I tried springs and O-rings, IMHO they do not create enough pressure, they allowed the damper to spin on the tube.  The SS hose clamps are the only things thus far that tightly clamps the damper to the tube, i.e. no spin; since the object here is to reduce vibration, I assume that this is the best route to take.  The hose clamps also seem to reduce or eliminate the thermal horizontal expansion of the teflon rings, the rings and clamps due get quite warm.

Next will be machining of the ring to accept a SS machine screw for tightening the damper, should have the same effect as the clamps.  I like the looks of the clamp over no clamp and the looks of the 5/16" clamp over the 1/2" clamps.

Lee Hankins
"End of the Road"
Homer, Alaska

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 06:35:03 AM
Lee,

I am thinking about this.  The clamp grips the glass envelope.  Does that then stabilize the elements of the tube through the base of the tube where the glass is all connected?  Or is it that the glass itself moving is the problem?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 07:23:13 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline John Roman

Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 06:53:08 AM
Grainger,
It seems logical that glass vibration must be the issue. I wish I could explain it. I wonder what other materials could be used , perhaps delrin or even nylon. Not sure how either handles heat long term.
john

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay