Up and Running with Vintage Foreplay!

dtaylo1066 · 6245

Offline dtaylo1066

on: December 01, 2009, 04:39:17 PM
See "hook up wire" thread below, but just got my Thanksgiving weekend project -- a 2003 Foreplay that was in my closet -- assembled and up and running.  Fired up and sounded fine on first try!  Love the sound.  Very impressed, Doc!

Do have a little hum, tho.  Not sure if I want to try and find a source of it or just leave it be.  Not really noticable when the music gets playing.

What happened to the Anticipation upgrade?  Any still around?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 07:51:50 AM
A lot of the hum will vanish if you ground the star ground point in the FP2 to the chassis ground.  I don't have the old manual handy, but I think it's T13 to T14. 

For me and the four FP-II's I built over the years, this was always enough to quiet the circuit down. 

Enjoy the legacy product!
-Paul

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 08:01:17 AM
I vote for T13-T14 jumper too.  You can always try an alligator clip jumper first to verify that this helps.  But if I were you I would do it anyway, as I PMd you, it enhances the safety of the preamp.

Offline dtaylo1066

Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 04:15:57 PM
Gracias, amigos.

I will connect the two and I bet it helps.  Again, the hum is not severe, just enough to let me know something is not quite right, as you can hear the hum when changing a CD and the volume is up.  When music is on, it is tollerable.

But, the little machine is putting out some quality, robust, tubalicous music.  My EL34 home brew amp has a channel out so I am having to listen through an old Bryston 60wpc solid state amp.  Yes, heresy, I know.

Offline Keim

Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 07:32:03 PM
I'll second, er third, that vote for the jumper.  Simple and effective.  You might also have a cold solder joint.  That magnet wire can be tricky.

Proud owner of modified Foreplay II, extended Paramour IIs, bi-wired Super Whamodyne speakers and a Seduction pre-amp.

Life is better at 33 and a third.