external hard drive

RayP · 10718

Offline RayP

on: March 26, 2012, 01:46:06 PM
Now that I am retired and travelling for quite a few months each year, I would like to have almost my entire classical music collection available to me while I travel. I've been thinking about copying my CDs (mostly classical) to a light weight external hard drive. I suspect 1.5  to 2 tb will be enough if I use FLAC or some other lossless format. I do have some questions.

Are any particular brands better than others in terms of reliability?

Considering the ripping effort involved (1000+ CDs), do people usually buy two drives for backup?

I've been playing with JRiver for the organization of the music. It is barely adequate as far as I am concerned but still superior to anything else so far that I have found. Is there any better?

I'm not overly interested in the quality of sound etc in the short term, just the availability of music I love. I'll probably just hook up the external drive to my netbook and just listen on earbuds which I use when I travel because they are light weight.

I might move to a music server eventually for home use so I do follow the other threads with interest.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 01:57:23 PM
Hi Ray - Ripping those CD's to hard drive is the way to go IMO. I have about 1000 CD's ripped to date. You might as well rip to WAV. Its about 400GB for almost 1000 CD's. Peanuts these days. You can always convert to FLAC. I would use DbPoweramp or EAC. Rip once and forget about it. You can organize them later. They will be tagged according to genre, name etc. And yes the music 'server' is very much the way to get access to it. Many options. I like squeezebox. Last thing - of course you want a backup drive! These big drives die without warning!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline vanofmonks

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 02:02:35 PM
Yeah 300-400 gigs per 1000 at most for flac.  If it were me I would go ahead and rip to flac because it would be a pain when you want to do a bulk conversion later for some reason, and flac is lossless so you save space with no loss of quality.

If you are concerned about your time, get a backup drive.  If you are only concerned with having a copy of the data, you will already have a backup in the original CD's. 

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 03:16:57 PM
Ray, do plan on a backup of some form.  If your collection is like mine, it will start with CDs but then grow with FLAC downloads from band sites, online downloads of various sources (HDtracks, etc.), and "other acquisitions".  While it may be possible to rebuild from scratch, it's worth the cost of another drive just to save you the hassle.  1000 CDs will take you quite a while to rip. 

Plus, you'll find yourself spending quite a bit of time editing your database.  Disc tracks (especially double CDs) will not always number right and sometimes your software will mesh up two discs.  Gracenote will recognize almost all of your CDs but some of my "local artist/coffee shop" Cds had to be hand entered.  You really don't want to re-do all of this work. 

Oh, and album art is another item that doesn't always get setup right automatically.  You will find yourself doing a lot of work updating that part of the database.  Many albums have several versions of artwork.  These can be for re-released, re-mastered, or other countries.  The automatic may not use the album art that you want to associate with the album.  You can fix this by hand but it takes time.

Wow, just realized I'm sounding negative about this project.  Here's the positive:  Ripping is worth all the time and energy you will put into it.  Just make a good backup and save yourself from repeating all that hard work.

I back up my whole collection quite often.  At least once a week and after any additions are made.  I use "Goodsync" and back up to a drive on the network.  This way the source and backup are at least in different rooms.  Ideally, I'd have another copy "offsite" but I haven't worked that out yet.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline RayP

Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 04:02:00 PM
So if I am reading between the lines correctly from the recommendations, the brand of drive is not really important. Just presume one will fail and get two of them. And of course, reverting to my former career of IT, keep one copy offsite when possible.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 05:12:46 PM
I've been having good luck so far with a WD Elements external drive.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 07:35:18 PM
Just picked up a 1TB WD Elements portable from Tiger Direct for $99 on sale. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2300667&CatId=2420 it has a bunch of software I didn't need and comes in OEM packaging but is a pretty good deal.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline dgb

Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 12:00:46 AM
since you mentioned it's for "on the go" , the western digital 2.5 hd with usb 3.0 support and bus power is pretty sweet http://www.storagereview.com/2tb_western_digital_my_passport_portable_hard_drive_review

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 05:04:00 AM
Western Digital seems to do the best on Newegg in terms of reliability, at least for the past few years. They cost a little more than the others due to the flooding in Thailand which seems to have affected them the most of all the manufacturers.

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 05:11:25 AM
I saw a WD 1TB outboard drive for $100 about 1.5 years back.  I asked my "computer guy" about it and he said that WD had recently had some problems.  Also that WD had fixed any problems but were selling below market price.  

I bought then.  I would expect that they are a good company today.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:09:21 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline RayP

Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 10:02:54 AM
I've picked up a WD 1TB 2.5 inch USB 2 drive for $99 and will try it out. If it works ok, I will get another.

Thanks for all the advice.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 10:30:33 AM
I think all hard drive companies have had trouble with manufacturing at one time or another. When you consider how hard drive technology has progressed over the years its not surprising. For internal drives I usually go for Western Digital or Seagate. I had a gripe with WD about a year ago regarding one of their external USB drives I purchased at Costco. WD had installed some windows utility programs on the drive for backup and such. I don't use windows so I deleted the programs to reclaim the drive space. After powering down the unit and then back on again the files returned to the hard drive. So I formatted the drive hoping that I would delete any remaining traces of the program. After the next power cycle the utility files were back again. WTF! I called tech support and after talking to several people I found out what was going on. Apparently WD had embedded the software into the firmware. Every time the disc powered up it looked to see if the utilities were on the drive. If they weren't they would be reloaded. There was no way around it, so I returned the drive and bought something else. I'm not sure if WD still does this. I bought a 1T Phantom Drive and opened it up one day. It had a WD drive inside. And it allowed me to use the entire drive. This may not be an issue for some but it was for me.

Offline rif

Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 11:20:56 AM
I don't know much about hard drives and audio. But I do use a WD drive "tuned" for DVR use in my TiVo.

Other items I think I may know:
I don't think wav files support tags. FLAC does.
I have heard, anecdotally, that ripping that many CDs on a laptop CD drive will destroy it.
I have read, possibly at EAC or dbpoweramp websites that some CD drives are better than others. There is a list somewhere...

I haven't ripped many CDs myself, so factor that into what I have said. I can say, that ripping with a full size CD drive in an external USB case is faster and generally more accurate than my laptop drive.

-david

Offline Yoder

Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 12:24:25 PM
I don't know much about hard drives and audio. But I do use a WD drive "tuned" for DVR use in my TiVo.

Other items I think I may know:
I don't think wav files support tags. FLAC does.
I have heard, anecdotally, that ripping that many CDs on a laptop CD drive will destroy it.
I have read, possibly at EAC or dbpoweramp websites that some CD drives are better than others. There is a list somewhere...

I haven't ripped many CDs myself, so factor that into what I have said. I can say, that ripping with a full size CD drive in an external USB case is faster and generally more accurate than my laptop drive.

1) By tags, I am assuming you mean the metadata? If that is the case then your statement is true. AIFF also supports metadata. FLAC is great for downloading large files, but once I get them I convert them to AIFF. I also burn all of my CDs to AIFF since storage is so cheap anymore.
2) You rip enough CDs on any drive and it will wear out. Personally, I do not like the Apple Superdrive since it is so slow and use an external drive to burn everything. The best thing Apple did was pull the Superdrive out of the Mac mini...much rather have an extra hd.
3) Yes, some drives are better in that they are faster and of a higher quality...just compare the specs.

If you are using a Mac then your USB drive will blow away your laptop CD drive.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 01:50:08 PM
I'm also a photographer and I have close to a TB of photos and music. My experience as of late has been that none of the drives can be 'trusted'. Plan on one going down with no notice, at any time. Back ups are key. I use 'Second Copy' software.
Quick and easy. I have 3 back-up drives. One in a fire proof box. You cant be too careful. I had a 750GB drive 'give up' without warning. Your stomach sinks, until you realize its all backed up. Then you just toss it!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.