audio gear closing sale

sl-15 · 1651

Offline sl-15

on: April 24, 2012, 07:46:35 PM
doc, i hope this is alright to post here, but i think it is worth mentioning.
my preferred local audio gear store is in the process of closing their doors after being in business for 56 years. they are called leo's pro audio and are located in oakland, california. (leosaudio dot com) i was going there off and on for the last ten years and always enjoyed the staffs knowledge and family business feel to the place. they were having everything from computer gear to acoustic guitars. they are having a closing sale until everything is gone and one of the things i know they have is some quarter inch tape for reel to reel, which might be interesting for some bottlehead folks. maybe it is best to call about stock, not sure if they ship stuff. i am very sad that they have to close, they were always a good source for connectors and cable.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 05:27:23 AM
Sadly a lot of "Mom and Pop" businesses are going under in favor of "Big Box" stores. About a month ago we lost one of our local record stores. I've been buying new and used vinyl from them for over 30 years. I avoid big box stores whenever possible. I'm very grateful for that we also have "Doc and Queen" businesses out there to support.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:55:32 AM
Sadly, the market is uneducated.  This heralds the demise of specialty stores. 

Offline grufti

Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:16:02 AM
Leo's - that's not good. I've driven long distances to buy from them, but less often recently. They are definitely the kind of business that suffered badly in the recession and from internet sales. I still thought they were meant to be around forever, too bad.