Have you tried it with a bass guitar?

Spinifex · 4941

Offline Spinifex

on: May 16, 2012, 01:20:16 AM
I'm always interested in building new stuff, but not really in learning guitar. However, with an headphone out, it could be really useful as a training/bedroom bass guitar amplifier. I just wanted to know if you had tried it with a bass guitar or would there be a danger of blowing the speaker? Or maybe there is a 8" speaker made specifically for bass guitars that could fit in there (I'm afraid I don't know much about speakers in general)?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 05:41:21 AM
Haven't tried it. I don't think it would hurt the driver, but my suggestion would be yes, try it with headphones as the right ones might have a better proportion of deep bass. Or better yet, try an external, really efficient 15" cabinet.

If this little amp takes off there will probably be more musical instrument amp designs and we would certainly consider a bass amp. Active loaded parafeed, maybe? That oughta go deep and punchy.

I think it would be fun to do a really fat, rich amp for blues harmonica too. And I have a few ideas for effects.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 05:58:21 AM

I think it would be fun to do a really fat, rich amp for blues harmonica too. And I have a few ideas for effects.

Dan,

Have you put any more thought into a harmonica amp?

Regards,

Aaron

Aaron Johnson

Offline bobster

Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 06:28:25 AM
One vote here for the bass amp.

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 08:10:10 AM
After playing around with this some more I think the easy solution is to use the Tode as a head and try it with different speakers and pedals for different instruments.  Effects pedals are more the rule than the exception these days, and the Tode makes a really nice amp to plug one into. Between pedals and different speaker cabs you could probably tailor the amp to work with a lot of different instruments and styles.

Take a look at some of the cool pedals that Mad Ape carries. Matt is our neighbor and carries some really unique stuff. When we get some time we are going to put together a tube pedal with lots of gain that, in prototype form, works well to give the Tode a nice raunchy sound.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.