JPS Labs interconnect with the Quickie!?

earwaxxer · 1492

Offline earwaxxer

on: May 18, 2012, 03:07:22 PM
This little beast has been putting me through my paces! Couldnt leave well enough alone. It has done that to me. First it was my amp. Now my interconnects. I had been using my Silver Serpent's (silver over copper) and Silver Bullet 4's (pure silver) into and out of my Quickie, in different positions, back and forth. Interesting experiment to discover how each cable 'sounds' relative to the other. I have tried in the past to go from my reference pure silver cables to something more 'analog' if you will. I always come back to the silver. Addiction I guess. At some point I just pull the plug and say 'its mud, I cant listen to it'! Well, I got the yen to take another look at JPS Labs. I had toyed there before. I bought their 'digital' power cord, and have been using it for some years. It does its job well, not sexy, but so what.

Well, last week I got it (Ultraconductor 2). Immediately subbed it in for the Silver Bullet 4's in the out to amp position, putting the Silver Bullets in the lead out from the DAC. JPS Labs burns there stuff in at the factory. To me that is much more honest than saying that the piece of wire needs 200+hrs to sound its best! From the get go it sounded fantastic! What I have noticed over time now, and is the same as the initial impression, is that the sound is full and coherent. Kind of what I would expect from the best of the best capacitor out there. Fatigue is MUCH less. I guess that means relaxed. But, unlike inferior copper cables there is no smear or impedance to the sound. Its like the best of silver without the side effects. The funny thing is that I ended up putting the Silver Serpent in the lead position. The Silver Bullets went to the sub amp (sounds great there by the way - tightened up the bass, nice definition).

So, I know I could get shot for recommending a $1K+ interconnect for a $100 preamp. This is the 'entry level' cable at about $200, so I can feel ok that I can say that I couldn't recommend it more! I can see how a system of JPS Labs wire would be quite something to hear! Someday maybe. I'm looking any further though.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.