SACD

Guest · 3897

4krow

on: May 21, 2012, 05:16:24 PM
Just want to check out some of guy's opinion about SACD. Got one today with 4 disc's. Feel like I missed out on something here, 'cuz it sounds better than anything previously. The player is an old Yamaha s2300 mk 2. Only paid $140 so it was a no brainer. Glad I did it.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 05:33:43 PM
Hey Mark - That is an old player. Not a bad way to get into sampling some SACD's though. I have a few (hybrids). Curious about they sound, but I'm strictly computer based now. Although I have tossed the idea of replacing my blu-ray player with a multi-format player like the Oppo. I guess I would have to justify buying it for the DAC, and not just for the disk player options.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:42:48 AM
 Well 'Earic', I am also interested in computer audio, but haven't decided how I will go about it all. In the meantime, I decided to try this SACD thing. I am VERY surprised at the results, and am buying more SACD's because of it. They are exspensive though, and I must choose carefully. Can't believe some of the stuff that I have been missing in the recordings before. Now, let me ass, er, ask you, how did you go about using your computer for audio? I am more interested in something like the Olive music server myself, but I do have some streaming capabilities.

'Mark'......er, Greg

Offline Yoder

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 10:43:21 AM
I have been equally impressed with the SACD's that I just purchased for the first time. Having just purchased "Dark Side of the Moon" in hybrid format and "Cahoots", also a hybrid, it was the "Cahoots" disk that came from Mofi http://www.mofi.com/store/pc/home.asp The Mofi disk comes in a nice cotton sleeve, has a serial number, and a ton of goodies included. The Pink Floyd disk was a typical Capitol Records disk. When I compared the two visually, the difference was more than profound. The Mofi disk exudes quality, while the Capitol looks like any other disk. Unfortunately, Mofi only prints a few disks at a time compared to other disk manufacturers and so one has to continually check back for new releases. Mofi history: http://www.mofi.com/store/pc/viewcontent.asp?idpage=14

Just checking the specs of the Olive servers and saw that they do not support AIFF, only WAV, FLAC, MP3, and AAC.

4krow

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 11:18:59 AM
Not only that, I have read some reviews of the o3hd Olive server that were not at all complimentary. I am hoping for a unit that will not have the flaws mentioned(as i recall,  the review stated troubles with data input, and customer service care that seemed apathetic). I really don't want to pay $1,000 or more for a storage/playback unit when I am sure that the prices will eventually drop.
  I also have a Mo-Fi copy of DSOTM, but have yet to play it in the recently purchased yamaha unit. The copy that I bought on Amazon is a hybred SACD, and I am anxious to hear them side by side. As always there are opinions on both sides.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 12:32:51 PM
Hey Greg! - sorry you look like a 'Mark' in your picture.. :). Its funny, I have a very similar picture of a crow that I took at the base of the Grand Canyon (of course I think my pic is better)! Anyway thats another topic, as far as computer audio, there are several approaches, and much heated discussion around each so I have to treat lightly! IMO, I like the network protocol for getting the bits from the PC to the DAC. That may change! I am open to change! Right now, squeezebox is probably one of your best options for getting bits to DAC over a network. USB is gaining traction. I may at some point convert, but for now, I like using a remote and selecting my music as it is delivered via wired ethernet from my laptop to the 'server' ie. Transporter.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 12:35:04 PM
Your Krow is dead