speaker project

howardnair · 4752

Offline howardnair

on: May 23, 2012, 11:45:39 AM
in this link are some photos of a  few pair of speakers i built that work well with the stereomour-
the angular ones are a version of the electro-voice Baronet   a klipsch design  - designated                                                                               a folded corner horn-these have fostex 208 e sigmas with a LCY 110 ribbon tweeter-the blue ones are a pair of what are called fonkens-with a fostex 168 e sigma and though no pic of the back -there is a small ribbon tweeter on the back--the tall one is a jericho horn-again with the fostex 208e sigma-the ev horn tweeter  in the pic has been replaced with a fountek neox 3.0 ribbon tweeter--the really large ones are  not for the stereomour - yet to be finished-it has a 15inch ev full range - a 12 inch coral full range and a hi-vi rt2 tweeter which i cut down the size of the faceplate-it  is a TWQT design-
https://picasaweb.google.com/100635555508988591604/May23201202?authkey=Gv1sRgCMzFjNKHx5_U8QE
the baronet's sound excellent- the bass is really quite good even if just backed against a wall instead of in a corner which they were designed for-the speaker box is 3/4 birch ply wrapped with 5/8 cypress -the face and top are a type of  mahogany-they are quite heavy-slightly taller than the original design

Offline keto

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:45:32 PM
Thats some amazing-looking woodwork. Congrats!

Tom Jones

Offline dgb

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 02:21:44 PM
excellent. i remember  pictures of your stereomour builds. some of the nicest i've seen. thanks for sharing- don

Offline howardnair

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 12:32:18 PM
thank you -i wasn't fishing for compliments-my point poorly put was the baronet and the somewhat altered fonken are small and reasonable to build --the fonken style is the fostex recommended size  ported box for the 168ez -which is no longer on the madisound site-double layered 1/2 inch mdf and wood face of your choice-so 360.00 for the drivers-120.00 for wood i spent i think 75.00 for the tweeters and no crossover only a capacitor for the tweeter- midprice clarity cap i think!!!-so 600.00 with the paint-with the stereomour they sound very very good and quite loud if you need that option-no fancy woodworking-the fonken part is in the brace inside-which is only vaguely fonken--it is full height/and depth  of the inside -has 2 inch holes drilled in  it randomly-it actually seats right against the back of the driver giving it great stability
the baronet was a experiment and a surprise- i made it in plywood first-put the speakers in and was really surprised-they are a little tricky to build but finish ply for the box and a nice face would be not too expensive-plans are here-http://www.jimtonic.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Baronet-DIY-Manual.pdf

4krow

Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 08:32:32 AM
As a woodworker, it is good to that there are a few of us still around. I have a question about the paint used in your project. Is it durable, and how many coats were applied? I have tried different kinds from time to time, but it can be more trouble than a natural finish(surprisingly). I didn't that close, but is there a texture to it?

Offline howardnair

Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 12:48:20 PM
greg --i used krylon paint-i use many coats-yes there is a little texture--it is not quite  overspray--i hold the can a little to far away and  shoot bursts and just generally fool around until i get what i want or it gets what it wants--i spray a clear coat over it when i am done --you have to wait a day or two before you clear coat--as for durability--it seems to be durable--just let it dry for several days

4krow

Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 07:03:50 PM
Thanks for the reply. I just happened to find a clear coat that is quite unique. It is made to be reflective when light is shone on it, but normally doesn't reflect. It does leave a rough surface, but I still like it for effect. I try to get automotive colors for some of my projects and found that model car paint is really cool for that.