Latest BassZilla Pix

John Roman · 13285

4krow

Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 11:10:16 AM
John, I like to post pictures of my work too, only at certain angles. Then the mistakes don't show so much. In your case, I am so impressed by what I know to be accurate work at ALL angles. Congrates on that. Putting a cover over the X-overs would be nice. Perhaps copper foil tape part way up the glass? It adds 'pizzaz'. Don't forget to place a Tesla coil nearby to discourage the curious.

Offline Gibby

Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 06:08:53 AM
John, I have looked through Dick's site and read many of his Tip of the Month pages.  I have also read many forum discussions regarding the Cornscalas.  Unfortunately I am not in a position to be able to listen to yours.  I live on Cape Cod, but thanks so much for the offer. If I make it out that way I will let you know.  I think I liked the Zillas better but thought I would be more able to build the Cornscalas.  I have some Cain and Cain upstairs (WAF) but thought I could go a little bigger in "mantown".

Offline John Roman

Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 07:36:23 AM
The coil is on order ;)
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline John Roman

Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 07:55:50 AM
Gibby,
A couple caveats:
I've been working on these for way too long. All along the way I just kept tweaking things in an effort to improve sonics as well as the finished look. It's on this last point that so much time was spent. My point is open baffle speakers can be very simple to build, to at least get an idea of the sound.  I believe the right driver is the key. One that may allow refinements along the way would be nice but it seems to come down to what you're willing to pay. For example I'm using a Fostex 208 Sigma @ about $225. From what I read it seems Feastrix is a true full range driver but cost is prohibitive. There are so many other choices..... When all is said and done I would have to wholeheartedly recommend having a cabinet maker handle making the of the cabinets.  The money outlay up front can be daunting if you're unsure of the design, so mock something up cheap and just live with it for a few weeks and go from there. The WAF can be worked out later if you decide to go OB or Cornscala or ???
kind regards,
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline glynnw

Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 04:58:01 PM
As John knows, I have built a pair of the Basszillas, but not to anywhere near John's level of craftsmanship.  As far as sound, most of the sound comes from the Fostex while the woofer acts mostly from 200HZ down.  So don't think you need to build something this complex to get good sound.  Experiment with a driver in a simple open baffle - you may be surprised at finding you like it - maybe not.  But it is a great way to learn the characteristics of drivers without killing yourself or your checkbook. In just an afternoon you can create something that might be quite pleasing.  Then if you like it, you can go crazy (and broke) expanding on it.  If not, you're out a few hours and the cost of a sheet of particle board or plywood.  The Basszilla is a nice speaker, but don't let it's complexity keep you from enjoying our hobby. 

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline Ivan Stolze

Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 02:23:26 PM
Hi John,

A friend and I (we live in Berkeley and Richmond) are both dying to hear some BassZillas. We both purchased the plans already. If you'd be willing to have us both over anytime soon, we'd love to hear your finished speakers.

Ivan

Offline John Roman

Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 04:23:02 AM
Hello Ivan,
Sorry for the late reply, could have sworn I'd posted a response already. Never the less you are certainly welcome to check my set up out. I'm going to need a little time to sort an issue with the pre amp. Hopefully I'll get it sorted soon and then I'll let you know. I've just been so busy with a couple other projects.
kind regards,
John

Regards,
John

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 07:14:52 AM
This is very cool! The Bay Area has a lot of Bottleheads and it's nice to see some planning a get together.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Gibby

Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 05:35:18 PM
John did these ever get finished?  I am still interested in them.