Latest BassZilla Pix

John Roman · 13286

Offline John Roman

on: May 26, 2012, 12:15:17 AM
Getting closer. Bass bin stained using Kona coffee and the baffle just satin clear. I hope to have the drivers mounted and the crossovers in place by next week.
Regards John
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:19:31 AM by John Roman »

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline glynnw

Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 02:00:45 PM
What did you wind up using as material for the baffle?

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline John Roman

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 05:34:52 AM
Hey Glynn,
The baffle is made out of 1 3/4" maple.
How are you liking the new rendition of your open baffles?
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline glynnw

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 06:08:39 AM
Just finally finished new baffle for the speaker- replaced original strictly for cosmetic reasons.  Sounds good.  Currently lusting to build a pair of GR Research Super V speakers, but have used all of "toy" money currently.  All speaker building is now on hold until about October when it might be cool enough to use my non-airconditioned shop.  Here is a pic of latest iteration.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

4krow

Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 06:34:26 AM
I second the use of maple for baffle boards. After all, maple and birch are also use in the sound boards of pianos. Having said that, I chose a close second for the OB speakers that I made. I used cherry, but only because it was available.
  If you haven't used OB speakers before, I think that you will be amazed by the natural sound stage they are capable of.

Offline Thoburn

Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 06:52:47 AM
I've read that Open Baffles need to be out quite a bit from the back wall. How far from the wall are you guys placing them?

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 09:09:49 AM
Can you guys tell me more about these? What size is the woofer? How complex is the cross over? I've seen pictures of these with a variety of full range speakers used. Do the plans include designs and cross overs for all these different speakers? Does the speaker require biamping? I looked on Dick Oshlers website, and he sells the plans, but doesn't give much info. Are these speakers suitable for rock and blues? I currently own Fostex 206E speakers with that are well broken in from years of use (in a bass reflex cabinet). I'm looking to build another set of speakers with them, to use while I apply a top coat finish on my Pi stage 4's. Can I use the 206's with this design? Are the woofers expensive? My current plan is to build the recommended back loaded horn from Fostex, but I'm keeping my options open till the sawdust starts to fly. Thanks.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline glynnw

Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 08:04:09 PM
I currently run my open baffles about 4' from the back wall.

The Basszilla speakers use a Fostex 208E Sigma. I think they are too much work just to keep you occupied until you build the recommended cabinet for the 206e.  FWIW,  on a lark I purchased a pair of used 206e drivers after building the Basszillas and I definitely prefer the sound of the 206e to the 208E Sigma.  So much so that I sold the Basszillas and am now trying to get the most from several pairs of 206e drivers in open baffles.  While I plan to still try other drivers, there is something about the 206e driven full range by my Paramounts that I really enjoy.  I do employ a 12" open baffle mid-bass driver  per side and use a couple of 18" boxed subs,  but the signature of the sound is set by the 206e drivers.  This is the first speaker I have ever had where I felt a tweeter wasn't necessary - nice perhaps, but not required.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:06:48 PM by glynnw »

Offline howardnair

Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 12:24:49 AM
you guys are giving me food for thought-the speaker in the link which is not finished is a tqwt-prior to building those i had them in a open baffle -i really liked the sound- not having anyone to bounce things off of - i asked a friend who at one time was a dj- he nixed them-light in the bass -i really think it was more light in the boom boom of the bass-i kept the baffles as they were 3- 3/4" layers of  baltic birch  and the wiring was channeled through the second layer-i guess it is time for a little experimentation and a second hearing on the open baffles --thanks howie
https://picasaweb.google.com/100635555508988591604/May23201202?authkey=Gv1sRgCMzFjNKHx5_U8QE#5745833249885355234
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:26:37 AM by howardnair »

Offline John Roman

Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 06:42:42 AM
Hello,
Glynn- your speakers look great. I really like the paper cone woofer. Where do have it crossed? How would compare them to the BassZilla's?

Thoburn- The bass drivers are 15". I wouldn't consider the crossover overly complex. There are crossovers shown for all the BassZilla renditions in the  plans he sells. Although the drivers selected are specific to the crossover components used. That's not to say you couldn't use other drivers, just that the network may change with the changed parameters of whichever driver you select. Such as the 206e Glynn has used in his open baffle design. Keep in mind that the BassZilla's are a hybrid of sorts with the mid and tweet on the baffle and the bass is in a ported enclosure. I think this would make them ideal for biamping although not a necessity. There are a couple amps discussed to that end on his website www.blackdahlia.com/tipofthemonth I listen to mostly straight ahead Jazz from the 50's and 60's. This type of design really shines in that environment. Especially with my Bottlehead gear. These speakers are designed specifically for use with vacuum tube gear and really display a clarity with Jazz that really adds to the listening experience. I do listen to other types of music, classic rock and  blues mostly. FWIW  I've emailed Dick Olsher back and forth over the years and have always gotten a considered response. I always thought the was cool for a writer of his stature, at least in the audio community. Please consider the cost of this design as it can quickly get pricey. Upgrading the crossover components can really be expensive. I've used almost all Audience caps throughout with a few bypass caps of better quality. Check out humblehomemadehifi.com for some interesting and detailed capacitor evaluations. Overall Mr. Olshers estimate for building these crossovers is spot on. The woofers are currently available through Parts Express for $250 each. As regards you possibly building the recommended back loaded horn for the Fostex I can only say they don't appear that easy to assemble. I admit to zero experience with horns but considered them closely until I heard a pair of open baffle speakers. That to me is key, being able to audition something that is at least similar to what your considering, not always easy or even possible. For me at least the cabinet work was eventually turned over to a pro. My BassZilla's have evolved to the point that once I'm done with these that's pretty much it for speakers anyway. As a member of the Bottlehead community for many years I'm a DIY guy at heart but my perfectionist nature always wants a more finished product. So I agonize over every detail and not always knowing what result to expect. That's embarrassing to admit I suppose but just how it goes in the DIY arena I suspect more often than not. That's all I have for now. Please keep the group informed what you decide and don't hesitate to ask any further questions. One last detail, I use these speakers in a fairly open room but find that they require about 3' behind them to sound good. That's measured from the back of the baffle. Good luck with your decision. John

Regards,
John

Offline Gibby

Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 04:46:02 PM
John I have been looking at these speakers and the cornscalas.  I like these but the woodworking is a little beyond my abilities.  Will your carpenter do builds for others?

Offline Gibby

Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 02:34:15 AM
Saw your post entitled "wood worker for speaker projects" so I guess he would do that.  Is there any way to make a "flat pack" and have them shipped to the east coast? Is this cost prohibitive?  Any thoughts on the basszillas v cornscalas?  Also please post more photos!

Offline John Roman

Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 02:51:45 AM
I will post some pix and comments soon
John

Regards,
John

Offline John Roman

Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 06:23:17 AM
Here are some pix. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to Cornscala's although the concept is interesting. If you live in the bay area perhaps you could stop by and listen to my BassZilla's. For me the thing about DIY speakers is that you can rapidly spend more time and money on them than if you were to just buy a commercially available design. There are a number of open baffle designs available as diy projects online but I just don't see them otherwise. That seems to be an issue with a lot of audiophile gear, it looks good but there is just no place to listen too what you're after.
All total my speakers weigh around 130 lbs. each. In the world of UPS I'd guess at least $200 each to ship. The plans for such a build are available online. If you are truly doing this to test the design and see if you like it I'd suggest mocking up an OB and listening for awhile before you commit. Obviously the real cost is in the drivers and crossover components selected. Take a look at this site: http://www.blackdahlia.com/tipofthemonth
It is where I started and perhaps it could be a starting point for you.
If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask.
John

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:25:30 AM by John Roman »

Regards,
John

Offline John Roman

Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 10:06:08 AM
There will eventually be a glass or polycarbonate cover for the mid and tweet x-overs. Just to keep them clean. I'm also planning a fabric cover for the woofer with a magnetic attachment. The baffle is also getting some sort of easy to remove fabric "sock" to prevent dust from collecting on the drivers. I've also toyed with the idea of some sort of subtle lighting for the x-overs. Overkill I'm sure...
John

Regards,
John