Anybody heard the Nagas or Orcas with Paramounts?

Jim R. · 3149

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Just curious if anybody here has had the opportunity to hear a pair of paramounts (2a3 or 300b) driving the Blumenstein Orcas or Nagas?

I know it's kind of a long shot, but thought I'd give it a try.

Why?  Well, things are in flux here in our lives as we just bought a new condo (about 200 feet from where we are now) and although the square footage is approximately the same, the layout is going to make it difficult to setup but one really top notch system.  For example, the living/dining/kitchen area will only work with a very simple system that can fit on a bookshelf (bonus points if you can guess what speakers and amp will be used), and then a central area between our offices in the basement will have to do double duty as audio/video and fit in a very tight area (a 26" lcd tv is about as big as we can fit or need for this near-field video arrangement).  No bedroom system potential at all, and with a little creative space planning, my office will have to become the reference listening area.

So basically not enough places for BH gear if I keep my current reference amp.

Of course none of this will happen overnight, but when complete we will have a very nice living space and one-floor living -- 3 levels is getting a bit too much on both my wife and I with our chronic illnesses, so this is going to be a great move once done.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 03:57:26 AM
Dear Jim; I can't give you a heads up yet, but Clark & Molly are dropping by Eugene after their trip to Boise early in June to deliver my Orcas+BUF subs and we'll be setting them up to play with the BH Customs 2A3 amp that Paul Birkeland built for me. P-feed with lots of MQ iron and TFA 2004 Jr. outputs with Cobalt slices in the middle, so it should reveal what they are able to do. I imagine my amp is similar in presentation to the Paramounts, and will post some impressions after listening awhile.

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:08:53 AM
my god that thing is sexy..

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 06:22:37 PM
47#'s of the best MQ iron making 3.5 watts of music. That's the Bottlehead Customs recipe as realized by Paul Birkeland. He also made a loaded and tricked out Soul Sister/Kugelis using the parts I stashed for 8 years. OH, and a tricked out Eros, so the Blumenstein's will have real sweet juice driving them.

Cheers, Hank

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 05:39:06 AM
Slight change in plans...

I bought Doc's SR-45s as after speaking with Clark yesterday he said the 45s should do fine with the Nagas in my new proposed setup and for the type of listening I tend to do.

Unfortunately it will be several months before I can report back as most of my gear is disassembled and/or packed up preparing for our move and won't be back together again until probably August.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)