NEW TRANNYS

Guest · 14959

Offline chard

Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 05:21:14 PM
After looking over the data it looks like your cathode resister is ok for triode mode. The amp may sound better in triode mode but will you be satisfied with significantly less power. Only one way to find out. 

Clifford Hard

4krow

Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 03:35:00 AM
I am going to try this mod and see what it amounts to. While I'm at it, I may replace the output caps. Sorry if this is redundant, I sent a message earlier this morning, but it didn't seem to take. Probably should be mentioned that because I live out in the sticks, all supplies will have to be ordered. I've got a list already, so this is a good time to do it.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 04:23:49 AM
Greg,

I didn't see if you have said that you have a schematic.  Do you?  If so, scan it and send it to me.  I can make some suggestions.

Posting a schematic of a current production product might be in bad taste.

4krow

Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 04:45:46 AM
Grainger, I think that probably no one will ever have a schematic of this amp. David Dicks is not the kind of guy that gives things up easily. His idea when designing this amp was to use 'ordinary but decent' parts to achieve great sound. All in all, I think he achieved much. But of course, I can see room for improvement. For instance, the original tubes were Chinese, and not that they sound poorly, but one of them failed within a week. So I changed out the 6V6 tubes to JJ's and the 12ax7 to Electro Harmonex. The 6NS7 tubes are still Chinese. I will try this triode mode, but I think even after that there are a few improvements to be had.

4krow

Reply #34 on: June 15, 2012, 06:43:22 PM
UPDATE:

I have carefully considered the pros and cons to the idea of revamping an already good amp, and for the cost, I have decided that simply upgrading the caps in the signal path, and bypassing others will be a better bet. By doing this, I will have affected(for the good) the current design, but not pushed a lot of money towards it.  The other decision was to upgrade the 6Sn7 tubes as well. I stopped there to see that leaves me, and so far, I cannot make a judgement given the break in time of the new tubes/caps. As always, it was of great value to me to have the help and advice given here. I will report back when there has been some time with the ears..