NEW TRANNYS

Guest · 14962

4krow

on: June 03, 2012, 12:58:25 PM
I am going to go out on a limb here and see what the possibility/worth of upgrading the trannys on my Audio Nirvana amp would cost. I would be doing the swap myself, but what info is needed to get started, i.e. how would i go about choosing the right part for the job?

What I can tell you so far is that the AN amp is a 6V6 design, putting out about 12 watts per channel. I realize that there is a lot more info that you will need here, but thats what I know as of right now.

I was very impressed by what I have read about the MQ trannys.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 02:18:14 PM
What are you wanting to achieve in terms of sonic improvements? It may be better to start upgrading/modding with simple steps.  All commercial units are built to a price point.  One can achieve positive improvements systematically by replacing a few relatively inexpensive passive components.  Replacing the trannies would be, IMO, way down the list "high payoff" changes.  To actually hear the improvement from the OPT's, you have to clean up everything in front of them.

Were it my integrated amp, I would start with the power supply and signal coupling capacitors.  You have to get  clean power to get clean music.

Then, look at the quality and type of resistors in the signal path. Are they metal film, carbon film, carbon comp or metal oxide?  Replace any metal oxides with metal or carbon film. (I do not like the sound of metal oxides, even in the PS!)

Now that you will get likely better imaging, timbre and loundstage....Swap tubes for quality OS. Replace the volume pot with a stepped attenuator. 

The unit is wired P2P.  Make one change at a time and listen.  Be sure to give caps sufficient burn-in to hear through the break-in period.

By the time you do all of this you will either love the amp, or be ready to sell it and move up. Either way, you have likely brought it too 95% of it potential and well into the land of diminishing returns.

Of course,
YMMV,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline chard

Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 03:30:58 PM
 You have to have a good understanding of the Audio Nirvanas circuit before you change output transformers. Is the circuit push-pull or single ended? Is the output parafeed or not? Are the 6V6's operated in triode or pentode mode?  What's the anticipated output impedance of the circuit?  As Magnequest tells its customers which transformers and chokes will work well in Bottlehead equipment its easy for bottlehead customers to swap in magequest transformers without knowing all the particulars. 

Clifford Hard

4krow

Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 03:34:59 PM
First, I would like to say that there is always a quick response at this forum, and second, the responses are usually the kind that I read seriously. After having this, I am equally grateful for the comprehensive and well written response here. Thank you. I'll end this thought with the fact that often times I read in forums responses or such that are poorly written, vague and just as 'tuff to get through,   mispelled. Good lord, I think, is this what we have come to? Ok, so I am off my li'l box...for now.

In response to your suggestions, I have to agree when I look at the big picture. You are right even when it comes to the handful of components involved with making music.
 As I have previously noted elsewhere , the volume control on this unit is an Alps 'blue velvet', so I am on the fence as to whether to change it out. Preferably, I do like the idea of a ladder type attenuator.
 I will have to look again at the caps and resistors in this piece. I don't remember them being objectionable, but they were not top notch either. The power that feed to this unit is balanced and that in itself is a plus, but power is of a great concern to me, seeing as to what we have to work with when you are customer of the power company.
 I did replace the Chinese tubes(because one failed quickly) with tubes of a more reliable nature(read JJ's and Harmonex).
 As you stated, a look at the internal components would be cheaper and a more logical approach. I will keep you guys posted(I feel another 'adventure' coming on).

4krow

Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 03:39:21 PM
 Again, another good response to my question. I believe the circuit to be push pull, but as for the rest of the information, I can't yet say. Unfortunately, I don't believe that there is a schematic for this unit, which might help in some ways. Having said that I can only ask the designer and see what he has to say. In the meantime, it looks like I will be going after the fore mentioned mods.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 04:29:25 PM
If you're getting 12 watts from 6V6s, it's probably push-pull. Are there four 6V6's?

Without a circuit, you need to talk to the designer - or else reverse-engineer the circuit (i.e. draw the diagram by studying the amplifier, tracing connections, reading parts IDs, measuring parts you can't read, recording voltages, etc. - it takes a LOT of time and effort!). Only the designer knows for sure what primary impedance is best for the amp - if it's push pull it's probably between 7K and 12K ohms, but you really want to know closer than that. If it's ultralinear then you need a transformer with the right UL taps. It probably takes feedback from a particular secondary, so you have to have the right secondary impedance available. If there's a LOT of feedback, there may be phase-adjusting components in the feedback network which are specific to the transformer used (they work with the stray capacitance and/or leakage inductance of the particular transformer).

We have worked with Mike to come up with transformers made specifically for use with our amps; those parts are not in the regular catalog. It's the only way we - and Mike - can be sure the parts will work well.

Paul Joppa

4krow

Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 05:17:13 PM
Paul,
  Come to think of it, I remember that it is of an ultra-linear design, and yes, push-pull. A few moments ago, I took off the bottom plate, and to get right to the point, it is one of the most beautiful works that I have ever seen inside. Makes me think to leave well enough alone. I did notice Rubycon 330 mfd, 400 v caps inside,as well as Rubycon caps used throughout except where teflon caps were needed. Those caps had a signature on them that I did recognize. Now I will be the first to say that just because it looks beautiful may not tell the whole story, and frankly, most every aspect of this amp I like. So, this may be a lesson in deciding just where to draw the line. If I were to pick on anything about this amp, it is that the 100k pot 'lets in to much sound too quickly', i.e. I have reached my max volume before 11 o'clock position. That is due to my speakers being 94 db sensitive I suppose. On the swich box that feeds the amp(for now), I have added a 20k stepped attenuator to compensate. A bandaid of an idea for now, soon to be changed with maybe a 250k Goldpoint? More to come, I'm sure...

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 05:43:36 PM
From the website:

"'Ultralinear' operation combines the best features of Single Ended and Push-Pull amplifiers."

This makes no sense. Both push pull and single ended pentode and tetrode amplifiers can be wired for ultralinear operation by using an output transformer with a tapped primary. Perhaps what the writer meant (or simply doesn't understand) is that ultralinear operation is commonly touted as combining some of the more desirable characteristics of triode and pentode operation.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline chard

Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 12:45:34 AM
If your 100k pot gets to max volume right away without anything in between. Its probably a 100k linear tapered pot. A 100k audio A tapered pot should give you a more gradual increase in volume when you turn the volume knob. The reason for this is the taper of an audio A pot is desiged for the way sound increases while a linear pot is not. A linear tapered pot is not designed to deal with the fact that to double volume requires a 10 fold increase in power, while an audio A tapered pot is designed based on this fact.

Clifford Hard

Offline chard

Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 01:31:01 AM
Just looked up Alps blue velvet pot. It is an audio taper so disregard what I wrote in the previous post.

Clifford Hard

4krow

Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 02:28:02 AM
Going in over my head here, but I wondered if there would be a possibility of being able to wire in a switch in order to run the amp either in triode or pentode. I've seen it before, and yet I am sure that it is more than meerely placing a switch in circuit.

4krow

Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 05:25:39 AM
BTW, it has become obvious to me that in order for me to have a more intelligent discussion about these matters, a better base of information would do me good. Any easy reading on the topics at hand that you could recommend? And yes, I would agree that this forum is of excellent value, but I don't wan't to wear on your patience while you educate me. Having said that, I will say it every time I think it, this is an incredible place to learn and get good ideas. And I'm not entering into a private little club attitude that I have seen at other sites. wow.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 12:52:04 PM
If you feel you can get by with less power, It is a very simple mater to convert to triode mode. Just one resistor per 6V6...John

John Scanlon

4krow

Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 01:16:55 PM
Well, with my speakers being 94db efficient, I am more than convinced that say 3 watts or so would be adequate. This amp sports 12 watts per channel now, so there is plenty of leg room, i bet. Tell me more

ALEXZ

Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 01:43:51 PM
Greg, what you have is an entry level 12w push-pull amplifier and 94db/w/m speakers. It's pretty reasonable combination. What are you trying to accoplish ? Why you think you need to upgrade transformers and what you in your opinion  is wrong with the existing transformers ?