ENabled Drivers

Noskipallwd · 3840

Offline Noskipallwd

on: June 07, 2012, 04:05:27 PM
Hi, just wondering if anyone has bought ENabled drivers, or had their drivers ENabled. Especially Fostex full-range. If anyone has I would love to hear your impressions, and whether or not it would be a worthwile investment. Been through the threads at DIY Audio, it's an intriguing idea.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 05:44:28 PM
I've heard a couple, at two different audio shows. Did nothing for me - it does not (IMHO) affect the basic character of the driver. If you love the driver to begin with, it may make a positive difference, but the ones I've heard I didn't like that much to begin with, and it did not change my mind. JMHO of course!

Paul Joppa

Offline chrisby

• commercial site:
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 08:19:58 PM
If you've invested much time researching the subject at DIY Audio, you're already aware of the polemics surrounding the subject, and perhaps even recognize that I've been a big cheerleader for the process myself since first hearing a direct A/B at Bud's place about 5yrs ago.

Since that time I've heard it on more than a few different makes and models of drivers, including at least 6 models of Fostex.  Carefully applied, such as by Bud or "trained" acolytes, I've never considered it a detriment.  Out of curiosity, which drivers / enclosure design are involved?

Chris Bobiak
Victoria BC Canada

you don't really believe everything you think, do you?

Offline debk

Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 01:57:11 AM
My Fostex fe206n's are enabled.  They are in Madisound BK20 cabinets.  I purchased the drivers already enabled, so I  can't really compare them to stock.  Though I have heard other systems with non enabled drivers, I personally do not notice much of a difference. 
They do look nice though

Photo on this post
http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,2245.msg17822.html#msg17822

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 04:55:01 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Chris, I built the Madisound BK12M kit wth the Fostex FE126En. I am very happy with them, my first love is Classical and they perform superbly with this genre. They image great, I just began reading the threads on DIY audio and found the topic very interesting. The info that I could understand made some sense to me. I would really like to hear some treated drivers, but that probably won't happen. Deborah, I am glad you responded, I was pretty sure you had enabled drivers. This is off topic, but I was op. I have been meaning to ask you about your avatar. Can I assume that you are an amateur rocket scientist. Rocketry has been a hobby of mine since I was very young. I don't participate as much as I used to, got into building some exotic RC aircraft.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline debk

Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 10:41:30 AM
The BK20 also are great on classical and piano music.  not as great with rock and vocals.

Shawn, yes my other hobby is high power rocketry.  I fly at numerous locations out east, but do most of my extreme stuff out in the Black Rock desert in Nevada.  myself and a group of a few friends are working on project we hope will do 100,000 ft, later this fall.
If you want more info on High Power Rocketry see  www.tripoli.org

Debra

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 02:21:33 AM by debk »

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline bainjs

Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 01:52:18 AM
I have the Fostex fe166e driver and planning to build the suggested BLH cabinet shown on the Fostex spec sheet from mdf.  The only thing I've done is add phase plugs I made to help disperse the highs.  As with all the Fostexs, it takes a lot of break in to get them sounding good!

Joel Bain