45's in my stereomour

howardnair · 2090

Offline howardnair

on: June 10, 2012, 08:47:14 AM
i posted earlier that i had put 45's in place of my sophia electric 300b/2.5
i then ordered the sophia electric 45 mesh plate black base--i have been listening for several days now--the sophia's are quite  a improvement on the somewhat used sylvania 45 tubes-a description of what i hear is in order but i cannot seem to find the words-i will try one --clarity--i will consume some caffeine -and peruse the dictionary for some superlative adjectives-then maybe give a try

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:36:08 AM
I would be interested, I am using Sylvania's as well. I look at something like the EML with lust.

BTW, if caffeine doesn't work, try Alcohol  ;)   

John Scanlon

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 10:11:49 AM
In the Paramount the cathode resistor is different for 300B, 2A3 and 45 configurations.  I have Paramours and they can be set up for 45s but it requires, again, a change in cathode resistor.

My guess is that unless you have it set up for a 45 you will need to make changes.  It might very well work, but not as it should.

The plate choke and output transformer impedance for a 45 and a 2A3 are different if you optimize the circuit.

Offline howardnair

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 11:57:59 AM
grainger --i did all the changes-power resistor - cathode resistor and change the wire from the choke-took maybe 10 mins all total-we have paul and doc to thank for that easy change option-makes me appreciate again their forethought and ingenuity--howie
mmm-time for a cocktail--maybe i will wax audiophilosophic