PJCCS manual mistake?

Bartguy · 2535

Offline Bartguy

on: June 14, 2012, 09:21:59 AM
I've buit the PJCCS board and was about to connect it when I ran into what I think is a mistake in the manual. On page 15, the PJCCS instructions say to "Clip the 4.02K resistors free from pin7 of each tube socket and also from the middle pin of the power switch nearest the tube sockets, and remove." But the Quickie instructions tell you to connect the 4.02K resistors to A6 & A4 and B6 & B4.

Assuming the PJCCS manual is mistaken about pin 7, should the 4.02K resistors be clipped at pin 6 LEAVING the lead connected between pins 4 & 6 on both sides? Or should that lead be cut away as well?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 12:38:00 PM
Most CCS boards replace the plate load resistors and often the cathode resistors (not in this case).  If you can check the manual you should find which resistors are replaced.  

Sorry, I'm not where I can get to the manual now.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:23:18 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Bartguy

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 05:06:56 AM
Thanks for the reply.

But I know which resistors need to be replaced. The problem is the PJCCS manual says that those resistors would be connected to different tube pins than the Quickie manual does. I'm just trying to get clarification on whether I should leave the resistor lead between pins A4-A6 & B4-B6 after I cut the resistor body away.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 08:22:38 AM
  .  .  .   the Quickie instructions tell you to connect the 4.02K resistors to A6 & A4 and B6 & B4.  .  .  .  

And now that I have seen the PJCCS manual I see that it says that you clip the resistor from pin 7.  That is a mistake.  It is on pin 6 which is clearly shown on the PJCCS manual page 15.

Looking at page 25 of the manual, not PJCCS, you see that one lead goes through A4 and A6 or B4 and B6 with the other end of the resistor free.  On page 26 of the manual the free ends of both of the resistors go into one of the center lugs of the power switch.  

Therefore the PJCCS wants you to leave the part of the resistor lead jumping A4 to A6 and B4 to B6 while inserting the CCS between the power switch center lug and tube pin 6 for each channel.  You will also have a ground lead (not connected to either of these) on the PJCCS board, I'm pretty sure.  

It sounds like you are doing the build and upgrade all at once.  This is why it isn't suggested.

It also sounds like you have put the 4.02k resistor from A4 to A6 etc. that would affect your resistance readings in your other post.  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:40:35 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Bartguy

Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 12:19:32 PM
Thanks for the clarification. That answers my question.

I have actually built it stock first and I believe correctly, at least as far as that resistor goes. One end of each resistor is attached to pins 4 & 6 and the other end IS soldered to the center lug of the power switch, so something else must be responsible for terminals 6-10 reading OL. My description was obviously lacking.

The main reason I'm doing the upgrade soon after the build is I have a limited window before work gets crazy and the project gets put on the back burner for months. Plus the amp I planned to use with it is on the fritz so I can't listen to it anyway.

But thanks so much for taking the time to answer this novice's questions. Much appreciated.