important - unauthorized "SEX amp transformers"

Doc B. · 13620

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: December 14, 2009, 11:00:52 AM
I stumbled across a web site this morning in which a person is offering contact information for a source for supposed "SEX amp power transformers". These transformers are not authorized by Bottlehead Corporation and we advise strongly against taking the chance of using them. We do not sell the real S.E.X. amp power transformer - the Bottlehead PT-3 - as a standalone product because its proprietary winding scheme precludes its use in typical DIY tube amp power supplies.  We have a concern that builders might not understand the proper way to implement the transformer and may design and build their own homebrew circuit that is hazardous to the transformer or to themselves. So if this transformer copy is an actual copy it carries the same caveat as the real PT-3. If it's not wound the same way as the PT-3, well it certainly isn't a copy and won't perform in a S.E.X. amp circuit like the real PT-3 power transformer.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JC

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 11:42:40 AM
Fascinating.  I wonder what they really are, and why someone thought this was the way to market them?

While I'm sure you get requests for the PT-3 since it is a nifty transformer,  I can only imagine that they are mostly from people who want to experiment with their own designs, not build ersatz knock-offs of the S.E.X. amp.

Wow.

Jim C.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 01:06:27 PM
Every so often someone asks about buying them and we keep saying "no", so perhaps someone felt there was a market. Transformer designs have been "copied" by reverse engineering before, after all.

Eventually I want to replace the SEX/Foreplay power transformer with one that is more conventional and can be safely supplied to experimenters; I even hope we can offer power supply boards to match.

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 01:24:39 PM
As it turns out the fellow was quite reasonable and has taken down the web page advertising the copies. As PJ says, we have a few different ideas for power supply kits that one could use for their own projects and also some minor revisions of a couple of power transformers to make them more generally useful. These will probably come along in step with the kit revisions we have planned for next year.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.