Snap, crackle and pop?

rebbi · 7991

Offline rebbi

on: December 16, 2009, 04:34:15 AM
Hi, everybody,
Well, I recently finished installing the C4S upgrade kit for my Seduction. Although I haven't had the chance to test all the voltages, the LEDs seem to light up properly and the unit sounds fine.
The only strange thing that I've noticed since the upgrade is that my phono rig seems INCREDIBLY sensitive to static noise: pops and crackles. When I do so much as physically approach my turntable, the static crackling noises begin. Raising or lowering the dust cover, taking a record on or off the platter... it's like the entire system has become a static noise "receiver."
How do I begin to troubleshoot this?
By the way, I should let you know that this is not the only system upgrade I've made. I now have a Manley Shrimp preamp (a tube unit) driving a Bel Canto S300 solid-state power amp. It's the first time I've had separates in my system. Everything sounds terrific except for this crazy static problem!
Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 05:07:08 AM
That isn't the fault of the TT or the Phono pre.  It happens to me every winter regardless of what equipment is in my system.  

To eliminate it I put a wire on the outlet screw and ran it to a piece of metal.  When I reach my turntable I ground myself on it and continue.

I also run a humidifier in the room 24/7 until I listen.  Then I turn it off because it is too loud.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:56:37 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline rebbi

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 05:11:55 AM
That isn't the fault of the TT or the Phono pre.  It happens to me every winter regardless of what equipment is in my system. 

To rectify that I put a wire on the outlet screw and ran it to a piece of metal.  When I reach my turntable I ground myself on it and continue.

I also run a humidifier in the room 24/7 until I listen.  Then I turn it off because it is too loud.

Grainger,

That makes a lot of sense. It's been (for Texas) really cold and dry here, with the heat running a lot.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 05:35:11 AM
The heat running is the problem.  That takes a lot of moisture out of the air.  I can't tell you how much I hate the dryness.  I also hate being zapped by my stereo or any piece of metal I touch in the winter.  I have 3 humidifiers running right now.  

Sorry to hear TX is having that sort of weather.  Doesn't bode well for us Southerners in Tennessee.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:57:28 AM by Grainger49 »