Interconnect Mod

Sh7eleven · 1787

Offline Sh7eleven

on: July 19, 2012, 05:56:54 PM
Has anybody ever modded their commercial interconnects replacing the straight RCA plug with a right angle connector?  I have a pair of MIT avt3's and I'd love put in a right angle connector in for the crack. The IC head screws back to entirely reveal the connections, So it looks like easy access. Has anybody had good results modding a commercial IC? Or am I better off leaving just leaving them alone?

Sean Hamill

music, ski, music

Stereomour
Crack
FPIII extended

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:12:09 PM
Hey Sean, I've installed rt. angle connectors on a couple of items. I put them on one end of my phono cable, one pair of commercial ICs and 1/4" jack on a headphone cable. All worked just fine. I have since replaced the HP cable and the ICs with my own DIY cables, neither of the originals were of great quality. I like the Cardas rhodium 90 degree RCA plugs, they work very well. You do have to heat the rhodium plugs quite a bit to get a good solder joint. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Sh7eleven

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 04:49:20 AM
Cool, I'm sure I just needed a little push to undertake this. I will be ordering some of right angle rca's shortly.  I would assume that interconnect wire diameter is fairly standardized and that I can order without checking - but you know the know the saying about assumptions - they make an ass out of...well just me this time I guess. 

Sean Hamill

music, ski, music

Stereomour
Crack
FPIII extended

4krow

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 05:19:03 AM
Sean,

One thing I like about messing with interconnects, if there is trouble, cut 'em back an inch try again. With other wires, 'ya got one shot, make it count, pilgrim.'

Offline Laudanum

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 10:53:38 AM
Actually, RCA interconnect cable/wire diameters can vary quite a bit.   Make sure the entrance for the RCA plug barrel will accept the cable diameter that you have.  "Up to 6mm" is a very common designation for plugs but many will accept larger cable/wire.  Just measure your cables diamater and make sure the plug you buy will accomodate.

Desmond G.

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 11:42:01 AM
Sean, you might want to pick up some shrink tube that will fit over the cable and the bottom of the connector. It will give them the cable a finished look and function as strain relief as well.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Sh7eleven

Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 11:52:33 AM
Shrink tube might be a good idea.  Never used it, but I have a BH power cord that I'm waiting to get started on when I get going on the stereomour.  At least I'll have more than one use for my as yet to be purchased heat gun.

Sean Hamill

music, ski, music

Stereomour
Crack
FPIII extended

Offline Sh7eleven

Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 12:03:00 PM
Oh yes, and will keep in mind that when I messed it up by snapping the end of the wire off, i can just cut it back an inch - that will save me a panic moment, thanks.

Sean Hamill

music, ski, music

Stereomour
Crack
FPIII extended