Stereomour fuse questions

balancedtriode · 3077

Offline balancedtriode

on: July 21, 2012, 05:17:30 AM
I have a few fuse based questions
any thoughts on them would be appreciated
1. do audiophile fuses make a difference
2. instead of using a 1.5A fuse for my Stereomour could I use a 1.6A fuse without major negative effects?

Thanks,
Coltrane

Thorens TD-160 Custom(rebuilt by me) with SME 3009 arm
Bottlehead Seduction
Extended Foreplay-III (build underway)
Stereomour Power Amp conversion (Heavily Modded)
Klipsch Cornwalls' with Vertical Horns

Offline John Roman

Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 05:53:29 AM
Coltrane,
I recently popped for some Hi/Fi tuning fuses from PCX. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to evaluate them, when I do I'll post a comment. I only bought these due to recent reviews from some BH's. That said I have to believe that the difference is subtle, like, it seems, with many "upgrades". I'll admit I'm guilty of making some changes in the past because I had the money and I just figured "why not" . Not the best path but one I'm learning to be more discerning with. Subtle changes IMHO can take time to detect and for me that requires patience which I'm also learning more about these days.
Regarding the fuse size, of course I would recommend staying with the 1.5 amp if indeed that is what came with the Stereomour. I'm sure you realize the value there was selected to protect the downstream components and while you may be able to get away with a 1.6, should a problem arise you risk replacing more than just a fuse. Standard fuses are cheap. If you are considering a boutique fuse at 1.6 because the 1.5 isn't available keep looking and be patient. The fuses I got from PCX were about $40 each, so $120 to upgrade my gear. The question for me is: where does upgrading the fuse fall in the que as regards audible changes. I do not have that answer yet. I'm sure many forums will post glowing results. Please be careful with those evaluations as your gear and ears are most important.
Kind regards,
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 06:00:12 PM
Fuses are NOT precision instruments; the difference between 1.5 and 1.6 amps is insignificant. But the difference between fast-blow and slow-blow is huge! Make sure you have the right kind of fuse!

Paul Joppa

Offline Montigne

• Industrial Designer
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:30:08 AM
Hello!

Resurrecting an old thread here with a simple question: what size, type, and rating of fuse in in a Steremour? I've built and love mine, but am ordering some replacement fuses and am not in front of the amp. Any help?

Thanks in advance. Bottlehead forever.

Stay in the groove.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 09:52:23 AM
250V 1.5A GMA (5x20mm). Can be fast or slow.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Montigne

• Industrial Designer
Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 12:18:52 PM
Thank you.

Stay in the groove.