Purple Paramount!

debk · 12618

Offline debk

on: July 21, 2012, 09:31:07 AM

Just finished my 2a3 Paramounts.  Wow do they sound great!  It's like liquid gold is coming out of my speakers.  While not as forceful as my 300b DRD amp, it is much more liquid sounding.  Hearing nuances in the music I didn't hear before.  I am very impressed, thank you Bottlehead.

Can't wait to get the EML mesh 2a3's, and the Magnequest iron I have on order

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi566.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fss102%2Frktdoc%2FP1000179.jpg&hash=aa597955e45d3de63012f920b0f6c24612b10c78)

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:40:40 AM
Thanks for the kinds words, Deb! Those bases are killer.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline debk

Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 09:48:18 AM
Thanks, I made all my Bottlehead bases this way.

I am really enjoying that amps, I know I have to go out and run a few errands, but I just don't want to turn off the music

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline howardnair

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 09:57:32 AM
deb i am in agreement with doc--did you use a dye or paint?

howie

Offline xcortes

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 09:57:50 AM
My Paramounts are 2a3 too (I use three pairs). I have RCA 2a3s and of course MQ iron (Ni TFA 2004, exo 03 and some MQ filter chokes in the ps).

I just love them. The only thing I think can challenge them is gonna be the SR45s. Of those I'm only gonna build two pairs of those since I wanna drive the tweeters with something different (long story). I'm planning on building them with exo 050s Ni. One pair will use M3 Dowdys and the other BCPs gapped for 40mA. I'll also use MQ ps chokes and the best caps I can think of to eliminate the coupling cap complex. The midrange ones will get Ni grid chokes. I'm also thinking of using expensive ps caps. They'll have a though time beating the Paramounts.

Saludos!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:01:27 AM by xcortes »

Xavier Cortes

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 10:01:53 AM
Congratulations, Deb!  What beautiful amps.  And nice work to get them up and running smoothly.  I assume you went all stock on the parts?  What did you decide to do about the parafeed caps? 

Best,
John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline debk

Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 10:24:26 AM
deb i am in agreement with doc--did you use a dye or paint?

howie

It's Transtint purple dye diluted in water.  After dyeing the wood, I finish it with 3 coats of Minwax Tung oil finish.

I tried other tung oil finishes and pure tung oil, but I like the Minwax product the best

Deb
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:40:58 AM by debk »

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline debk

Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 10:39:47 AM
Congratulations, Deb!  What beautiful amps.  And nice work to get them up and running smoothly.  I assume you went all stock on the parts?  What did you decide to do about the parafeed caps?  

Best,
John

John thanks for your kind words

For now all the parts are stock expect the 270 Ohm power supply resistor and the parafeed capacitor.

I used a Mills resistor since I have a number of them left over from another project.   have no idea if this impacts the sound or not, but I had them so I used them.

For the parafeed capacitor I used a 6.2uf ClarityCap ESA capacitor.

I will be upgrading to Magnequest iron which I have on order. BH5 full Ni and BH6 plate chokes.  I am not sure what I am going to use for  the parafeed capacitor.  The optimal calculated value with this combo is around 10uf.  I have some 10uf ClarityCap MR capacitors, but thy are Huge, like the size of a small can of pop.  Not sure how I would mount them.  I also have a pair of 10uf Solen AGM Silver metalized polypropylene film capacitors.  I can't find much about the Silver Solen's so don't know what to expect, but size wise they will fit much better.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:42:56 AM by debk »

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 06:09:03 PM
In theory at least  :^)  you can use less expensive caps and listen for quality, extension, and distortion at high power - all in the bass, especially deep bass. That will help choose the cap value. Better caps will (again, in theory!) not have much effect in the bass, but will pay their dividends in the midrange and treble.

Of course, in practice it's very difficult to separate the frequency ranges - we hear music; separating it into parts is more intellectual than gut perception. And the gut is way more discriminating than the frontal cortex.

Paul Joppa

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 03:29:15 PM
Deb,

That sounds like a good plan.  The ESA is one I've used before...pretty good for a lower cost cap (lower at least compared to the higher costing ones, right?). Why not try out the one that fits...if you like it, great! If not, not the end of the world.  The really big caps are kind of crazy in terms of what you have to do to make them fit.  My 3.9 uf Mundorf SIO seems large compared to the stock cap...the soda pop cans would be a bit over the top.

On the one mono block I have running, I found that the mid range clarity was simply stunning.  And that was an area I liked before!  Enjoy your music...

Best,
John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline debk

Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 04:07:30 PM
I received a pair of EML 2a3 mesh plate tubes today.  I thought the amp sounded great with the Sovtek, well the EML's are another order of magnitude.  Very impressed the detail, realism and richness of the sound.  I know it is an expensive upgrade, but I found it well worth the price.

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 04:25:39 AM
Congratulations Deb!  I have been waiting to pull the trigger on a pair to replace the NOS GE's I have in the Custom Bottlehead amp that Paul Birkeland built for me. Hope I am just as pleased as you are!

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 05:13:08 AM
"I am really enjoying that amps, I know I have to go out and run a few errands, but
I just don't want to turn off the music..."

That's what it's all about!  Congrats on this latest upgrade.  Wish I could see the purple -- I'm going to be building something (probably a s.e.x.) for my neice and she will undoubtedly also want a purple amp.  Did you paint the top plate or leave it natural aluminum?

Someday I still hope to build a pair of paramounts, and hopefully with a pair of nickel TFA-2004s and grid chokes, but I'd most likely build it as a 2.5v 300b and run the JJ 2a3-40s in it

Looks like you have a new TT and cart too.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline debk

Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 08:08:37 AM
Jim

The Top plate and transformer bells are finished with copper hammertone paint.

Yes, I did get a new TT and cartridge.  The Sota comet dynavector combo is fantastic, a big step up from my music hall TT.  I has the Sota made with purpleheart wood, very happy with the results

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline debk

Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 01:26:25 AM
Finally got around to putting in the Magnequest Iron upgrade with full Nickle outputs, BH-6 plate chokes (Only going to use 2a3's), and 10uf Solen AGM Silver capacitors (a newer capacitor from Solen).   Had everything sitting around for a few months, but with moving to a new house and busy at work didn't have  time to do the upgrade.

WOW what a change, I though the Paramount sounded great before this, but the iron upgrade really kicks it up a notch.  Still very detailed, but the music sounds fuller, and bass is improved.  Great sound stage, you can sit with your eyes closed and you wouldn't know that there wasn't a grand piano playing right in front of you.

Have a Happy Holiday

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers