auricap xo

tubefrk · 18594

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 03:43:11 PM
It seems that V-Cap has set the bar as far as TFTF's go. At about $100 for a .22uF there is plenty of room to challenge them! So far I have not seen any 'reasonably' priced challengers (Audionote etc.). No doubt the Chinese are trying though!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 06:41:08 PM
Psvane introduced what was listed as a teflon cap, CuTF like the V-Cap. It was still pretty expensive though. There was a big stink, turns out there was no Teflon dielectric in the cap, only teflon insulated leads.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 01:19:49 AM
DIY HiFi Supply sells Obbligato Tin Foil/Teflon 0.47uF@1000V for $95 and 0.22uF@1000V for $64.

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/catalog/36

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 07:25:56 AM
Yep - I would like to read a comparative review of the Teflon V-Caps and the Obliggatos. Hint, hint - Humble Homemade Hifi.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 07:28:54 AM
Eric,

You send me your V-Cap TFTFs and I'll compare with the Obbligato! 

Hey, you started it.

Offline tubefrk

Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 09:02:39 AM
Hi folks, after putting some time on the Auricaps they sounded good. same mid bloom as before, possibly a bit more detail. I decided to swap them out for the silver in oils, Ok all bets are off, the silvers have the same bloom, but speed and detail in spades. Larry Carltons guitar sounds live, on the new Foreplay cd. James taylor, again sounds like a fifteen thousand dollar Olson. I have not heard the obligatos, and I probably won't for a while, my sys. sounds so good i'm going to enjoy it for a while. I can't say enough sbout the Quicky, for the money it's simply amazing even after one hundred and fifty dollers in new parts.....I love Batteries....Mike

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 09:29:30 AM
Mike - wow cool! I havent experimented at all with swapping caps on the Quickie. Its good to hear about others that have. I just slapped in what I thought was good and left it at that. Now, are you talking about the output caps right? Did you use 2.2uF or did you go higher?

Eric

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 09:32:23 AM
Eric,

You send me your V-Cap TFTFs and I'll compare with the Obbligato! 

Hey, you started it.

Hey Granger - the thought of buying and comparing caps to me is like scraping my nails across a chalk board! I really dont want to do it. I like it when other crazy people do it for me! Then I will buy it!

Eric

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 10:24:07 AM
Eric,

You misunderstood me.  You don't have to do any comparing at all.  I'll do that nasty cap comparison for you if you buy the cap that costs twice as much as the one I volunteered to buy.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 01:03:33 PM
Ya I get it! - thanks pal!

Eric

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 11:17:11 AM
Those Obbligato caps look very similar to the Solen S3Q Teflon FEP Film & Tin Foil Cap (sizes look similar too).

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_solen_teflon_fep.html

Prices on the Solens are a little cheaper.

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline tubefrk

Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 09:48:24 AM
Qestion for Grainger, and or Eric.   I have been playing the tube game with the quickie. so far I have tried+  RCA's,  Sylvania, I understand, and I have read somewere, that Amprex bugles were good, but finding them is like finding the body of Jimmy Hoffa.  Thanks   Mike.

4krow

Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 10:17:47 AM
The  'bugles' are in Hoffa's        left   coat pocket.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 10:21:11 AM
Mike,

I am not familiar with all the "flavors" of the Quickie tubes.  Amperex Bugle Boys (there are tubes blowing bugles on the circumference) are highly regarded tubes.  I don't know if they are available in the tube number for the Quickie.

Sorry!

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 11:26:41 AM
Amperex DL92s, that is one tube I have not come across yet. Often you can find Mullards at http://www.dbtubes.com/, but no Bugle Boys so far.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore