auricap xo

tubefrk · 18592

Offline bainjs

Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 01:02:28 PM
I have a set of bugle boys in my Quickie for a couple of years now.  The biggest improvement is that micro phonics  is pretty much eliminated.  They are also extremely quiet. I believe I bought mine from Tube World.

Joel Bain

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 01:56:49 PM
Hey Mike - I have found that tube rolling with the Quickie to be challenging, from the standpoint that there are real 'differences' with various tubes, but the 'psycho-acoustics' are the tricky part. I think we (humans) like to hear a 'change'. Its hard to determine when that change is for the better. -  As an example, I put my Aladdin's back in about a week ago. I was getting some crackling from one of my RCA's and thought 'why not'. I never liked the Aladdin's since I bought them. They seemed bright and not particularly 'tubey'. Well, they sounded quite good. More 'even' in frequency response compared to the 'rock and roll' RCA's. With the system changes that I have made recently (cables, caps etc), I like the Aladdin sound. Along with hardware changes I have also experimented much more with software re-sampling and replay gain. What results is a more vinyl like sound, less dynamics and more 'real'.  A 'tamed' digital if you will.

Back to the topic - I would get as many different brands as you can! Dont hesitate to order from the cheapy websites that dont guarantee what you will get. Thats how I got the Aladdin's.  I have some Telefunkens on the way.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline tubefrk

Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 04:07:09 AM
hi guys, thank you for the response. So far I have tried- Sylvania::: sounded bad to me, not clean, no bass. The RCA's so far sound the best to me, But I also have some Telefunks on the way, some Mullards also..... we will see//// ahh I love this stuff  my hard earned dollars keeping the economy going.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #33 on: September 05, 2012, 06:11:51 AM
Interesting... I like the sound of certain Sylvanias.  The problem is that there were a hundred (my exaggeration) different variations of each manufacturer's tube.  I like the 6189 (12AU7) JAN from the 70s, a lot!  Most tubes has many variants. 

Maybe not for the Quickie.  I know it is an odd duck.