Battery Noise

Paul Joppa · 1660

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
on: August 15, 2012, 11:39:51 AM
Here's some interesting data I ran across today:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/regulators_noise4_e.html

It appears that alkaline cells are much quieter than NiCd or lead-acid batteries. Unfortunately no other types (NiMH, Li, etc) were tested. Note that this is page 4 of an article on quiet regulators, the rest is interesting if you are into that stuff.

I wish I could claim to have chosen alkalines for the Quickie on this basis, but this is the first real data I've seen.

Paul Joppa

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 02:43:32 PM
Hey Paul - I had seen that 'observation' before. Interesting topic. I have also seen claims that LiPo4 sounds the best (possible a Jeff Rowland reference). I have played around with different chemistry's a bit. No difference that I can tell. I thought I heard a difference in sound when I was running my t-amp on battery, between a 500mah NMH pack and 3000mah NMH pack, both 30v. It turned out to have more to do with the chemicals in my brain at the time.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:35:35 AM
I know of at least one dac manufacturer who has also found huge differences in sonics between li ion packs from different manfacturers -- and at very different price points as well.

This is one reason why I use a Pi Battery buss filter/regulator between my SLA battery and my mac mini (that has been modified for a dc supply.)

I've also heard that there are sonic differences between some of the NiMH batteries -- there are some low self-discharge niMHs that are supposed to be better for audio than the standard types -- and of course they cost about twice as much -- or about $6 for a rectangular 9v cell.  Not sure how much difference it would make in the filament circuit though.

Thanks for the link Paul -- nice to have.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)