Any cheap full range OB speakers out there?

Pfenning · 7008

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
on: August 17, 2012, 08:04:00 AM
I currently run Pi stage 4's with subs and love them, but I didn't finish the cabinets before I started listening to them 5 years ago. I had some Fostex FE206E speakers in a bass reflex, and I never really connected with them. I built some open baffle panels for them, to use during the veneer and finishing of the Pi's. I tested them out and was really surprised at how much bigger and better they sounded in OB vs. BR. So I started thinking it would be fun to test out some other 8" full rangers, just to get a flavor of what's out there. I could even go smaller that 8" with an easily built adapter. So what should I be looking at for other inexpensive "full range" speakers to test out? I plan to run a sub to help these out. Are there tricks to improve the sound or reduce the shout of the Fostex? Should I add an inexpensive tweeter? If I can get something dialed in to my liking I would probably set up a second system somewhere in my house.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:43:05 AM
I have an OB, in the "mule" stage, with Audio Nirvana Cast 8" over an Eminence Alpha 15".   The "mule" baffle is a rectangle 24"x36".  I have modeled the baffle in Edge and the final baffle will keep the 24" width for the woofer, but angle to offset the AN8" to a narrower 12-14".   2nd order high and low pass at 200Hz.

I have tweaked the crossover points for about 6 months now, originally running the AN8" without crossover and the EA15"  low pass at 200Hz.  I added the high pass to the AN8" at 200 as well, and it cleaned up the mid range by reducing the lower 3 octaves.

I am really enjoying the sound.

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:17:23 AM
The TangBand W8-1808 sounded very promising the two times I heard it. You do need some kind of bass support below 200Hz for a 24" baffle width, of course.

Paul Joppa

Offline coca

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 01:44:01 PM
What do you call inexpensive. Although I have no connection with Hawthorne Audio, I plan to do a version of their OB's.
By the way, Has Bottlehead  any interest in designing any high sensitivity OB kits? I know you could do it.

Bernie.

Offline jmv

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 01:54:25 PM
An outfit called Urban Fidelity just wrapped up a Kickstarter for their line of OB speakers.  You can check them out here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1671134483/urban-fidelity-speakers  The price point is very attractive, but I'm reserving judgment until I can see some reviews.  The big selling point seems to be the customizable artwork - very high WAF - but that gives me pause as to how much audio engineering they have backing them up.

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 05:20:33 AM
Does anyone have experience with the Hawthorne Audio driver? They look really interesting to me, based on my satisfaction level with the Pi 4's that use Eminance speakers, I'm wondering if these are worth a shot. I'm thinking of trying them as the full ranger, then adding the 15" Audie if needed.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 06:33:56 AM
There are a few of us BH guys using Hawthorne Audio speakers.  We all like them pretty well, actually.  The Stereomour + 15" coax with Augies is a setup that punches way above it's price point.  I'm sure the SEX amp would be great, too. 

Here is a recent convert to the BH + HA family:

http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4345

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,3020.0.html

I'm now using the Hawthorne Audio References (the ones with the AMT ribbon horns that go down to 500 Hz) with the Paramount 2A3 mono block amps.  However, I am going to be setting up my SSI coax OBs with my Stereomour as a second system.

Best,
John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 09:19:06 AM
Pfenning,

Full range drivers get so much of it right.  But you never get much bass.  So as you suggest, you need a sub.  But the top end lacks sparkle so you add a supertweeter.  And then you have a three way system.

But you asked about open baffle, not, per se, full range drivers.  I just had to add my two cents worth.

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 11:43:54 AM
Good point Grainger. I guess in my mind, I was stuck thinking that only full rangers run on OB. As I look at the Hawthorne, that's basically a 2-way or 3-way system. I'm doubting they can best my Pi 4's, because I have had no desire to build any new speakers, till I started preparing to pull them from service for veneer and finishing. The Hawthorne caught my attention right away, because of the pro drivers used, similar to my Pi's. Could the Hawthorne speaker in an OB dethrone the Pi? Can the Augie provide the slam of a rigid well tuned sub box? My musical tastes run wide, but when I listen to Tool, I expect to feel it, and when I listen to Ray Charles, I still expect to feel it, just an emotional feel instead of slam.

Pfenning 

Pfenning

Offline glynnw

Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 10:13:22 AM
Hi Pfennig,

I am running FR206e drivers in OB config, although a bit unusual layout - each OB has 1 firing forwards, 1 firing to the rear and a Tone Tubby 12 firing forward.  Also use subs for deep bass.  I love the sound of the FR206e driver.  Like you, I had a pair lying around and put them in an OB for fun.  Wound up selling my other speakers ond concentrating on tweaking this design.  Please keep us posted of your thoughts as you try other drivers.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,