Klipsch KB-15

quick67coupe · 7011

Offline quick67coupe

on: September 03, 2012, 12:10:22 PM
Hi all this is my first post.  I have a Stereomour on order for the wife's birthday or Christmas, they are fairly close to each other.  I figure by the time it ships and I get it together i may be right on target with time.  Since the listening space will be fairly small in an extra bedroom i was looking at a set of bookshelf speakers.  Best Buy has Klipsch KB-15 on sale for a reasonable price.  I was wondering if anyone has experience with these speakers and what there thoughts are on them?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 03:29:03 AM
My first question is which quick 67 coupe'?

Next, did your wife ask for a Stereomour?  I know I would get some personal parts fried in a pan if I gave my wife an amplifier for a gift.

Looking at the 94dBW sensitivity, same as my speakers, they will play very loudly in a bedroom.  My room is long, 27' and I have the same SET power.  So you will be more than satisfied with the volume level.  I have no idea what these sound like.

BTW, volume level is really what power is needed for given a room size and speaker sensitivity.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:33:45 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline John Roman

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 04:18:42 AM
For a small speaker I personally could not resist what Blumenstein Audio offers. They look to be a true value at their price point. How much were you thinking of spending?
If a bookshelf speaker is something you would consider take a look here http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html
I've not heard these but do like the small horn configuration.  Please let the group know what direction you take.
kind regards,
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline quick67coupe

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:11:46 AM
I use the same handle on all the forums i participate in.  Its in reference to my 67 mustang.  Its been parked for the last 12 years at my parents farm.  With a wife kids and a job its nearly impossible to get out there to make any progress on its restoration.  The quick part is more of a joke.

As for the wife she has been pined after a tube amp for years.  when we moved into our current home we had kids shortly after so room became a valued commodity. I ended up moving my stereo including my rather large (and cheap)KLH speakers to shed where the mustang is parked but that that left  no way for her to listen to her record collection.  Recently she has been asking what would be required to get her turn table working so that's where the stereomour came in.  I don't like interim solutions but i will probably go with a cheap solid state phono preamp until i can get something nicer. As for speakers i am sure i can probably get away with something less sensitive being a small room with low ceiling of 7.5 feet. I just saw that on sale and it looked like a good deal for the cost on specs alone.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 07:25:49 AM
I had to sell a '66 2+2 before my last move.  It was a retired show car.  Picture sent now.

Sounds like your wife is a keeper.  I integrated my wife's LP collection with mine about 30 years ago.  All 10 of them.

Sadly, specs other than dimensions, sensitivity and "nominal" impedance won't tell much of a story.  It is best to look at the impedance curve and see if it dips very low (2 ohms for an 8 ohm speaker is low).  Also see if it is above 16 ohms anywhere other than the bass driver's resonance (under 100 Hz most of the time).  You just don't want it too high elsewhere.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:40:55 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 12:35:33 PM
Hi there, yeah, I'll definitely chime in and mention that a pair of Orcas with your Stereomour will sound completely beautiful in your bedroom.  They get the bass right even at "romantically low" volumes - which is so important in the bedroom :)

www.Blumensteinaudio.com

Cheers,

Clark

Offline Paully

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 04:15:45 PM
Klipsch in recent years has garnered a reputation for publishing efficiency numbers that seem optimistic.  I don't know about those but I would go over the high efficiency forum and search and also do a Google search and see what you turn up.

Offline pjnestor

Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 06:52:01 AM
Hi,

I have the Klipsch KB-15 with a SEX amp in my kitchen and think they sound pretty good.  They get plenty loud, so I can hear well enough out on the deck while barbequeing.  They aren't super strong on bass and I don't have a subwoofer, not sure if that is the speaker or the amp or both.  I think it would be hard to find a better or more sensitive speaker for the price.

Pat

4krow

Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 03:25:01 PM
I'm trying to remember the formula for the amount of money spent in a system that should go towards speakers. I know that it was around 40% or more. In my systems of the past, I have followed that logic to a great degree. I wonder if that might have changed in recent years.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 05:56:18 PM
The rule varies a lot with different authors and at different times. I'm old enough to have decided there is no use in following the changes. Use your own ears to find what enables you to hear and enjoy the music! My own rule is to determine what is the weakest link in my own system and work on that until something else has become the weak link. The fastest way to learn is to listen to many systems, so it's usually worth finding a local club if possible (or starting your own, as a number of Bottleheads have).

Personally, now that I am using SET systems, the speaker and room is the weak link. I use the singular because they are especially inseparable - you need a speaker that works well with your room, in a location that you can actually use. Speaker reviewers who do not live in your house are of limited use. Not no use, but limited.

Sometimes room modification is more important than a better speaker, and sometimes it's the opposite. Given the low power of SETs, your speaker choices are limited to those with enough efficiency to be loud enough, which means a good proportion of your effort will go to finding the ones you like.

I say all this as someone who makes a modest income from amplifiers, and nothing at all from speakers. Next time anyone promulgates a rule of spending, try to find out what they are selling!

Paul Joppa

4krow

Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 12:42:49 PM
Paul,

I gotta admit, I have found much of the same truths about these things as you have. I once owned a home with a listening room that will never be equaled by me again. I took advantage of it as much as I could and bought REALLY cool used audio gear. I am so glad that I did, since most every room since is average at best. I am now using open baffle speakers, and as much as I love them, I know damned well that they are NOT able to perform anywhere near their potential. But at lower levels, they do a marvelous job for me, and I am glad that I at least have that going for me.