Not so obvious problem RESOLVED

ditdah · 8639

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 04:52:00 AM
Some heat guns have extra tips you can put on to redirect the hot air. We have one that is wide and narrow. It lets us get pretty close to the top of the heat shrink without blowing too much heat on the Tech Flex

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ditdah

Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 04:56:54 AM
I've got one of those wide, flat tips on my gun as well.  I think it comes down to being much more careful where I'm directing the hot air.  I wasn't initially aware that that mesh stuff would melt like that.  I'm still curious about why the heatshrink split...I guess just too much heat.  it split on the clear plug.

Well, on my next kit, I'll use some aluminum shielding as well as much more care about how I use the heat gun.  I'm hoping for better results.

Kenneth Koller

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 09:06:14 AM
I have not seen the heat shrink split. It will curl over right at the end if you don't heat it somewhat evenly.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ditdah

Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 09:39:44 AM
I noticed the curling as well.  I was able to get that to smooth out, but that's when I ended up melting the mesh material.  I'll use some aluminum foil or shield of some sort next time around.  

On the hospital quality plug (clear plug) it split twice (clarification:  the heat shrink split...not the plug).  The first time, I was able to trim off the effected area and scoot up the unshrunk tube over the plug and start over.  However, it split again.  I also notice that the tubing crept down further away from the edge that it started...leaving behind about a half inch of that sealing goop.  That happened on both plugs.  I figured in all cases it was me...applying too much heat or something.  Give me a day or so. I'll unwrap the electrical tape and take a shot and send it to you.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:09:38 AM by ditdah »

Kenneth Koller

Offline Laudanum

Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 11:17:15 AM
Ive seen heatshrink split when it has a partial, lengthwise slit in it.   Doesnt even have to be full length or all the way through.   Makes sense because thats the best way to remove it.    Honestly, Ive never had a problem with shrinking the stuff, including not melting techflex, using a Milwaukee heat gun on low (without a nozzle).   But then again, I used boat loads of heatshrink in my work (used to shrink it with a wide nozzle torch).  This was the bigger, thick, adhesive lined stuff for .500" - 1.00" cable and associated fittings.    Anyway, just takes some doing to get the hang of it like anything else.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:31:36 AM by Laudanum »

Desmond G.

Offline ditdah

Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 06:28:59 AM
Understood.  I did not notice any damage, slits, cuts or otherwise before I started heating it.  However...I didn't really look for that either.  I was careful cutting...as I wanted a clean edge.  I dunno...I think this can be chalked up to too much heat most likely.  I've not worked with heatshrink this big before.  Either way...it's an aesthetics thing.  I'm not too bothered as this was my first go at it.  I could fix it...maybe...but I won't even bother asking for more shrink tube.  Would have been nice if it looked "prettier"...but I can live with it.  I don't mind learning (relearning) as I go.

However...next project...it's going to have a pristine looking cable  ;)  ...now that I have some lessons learnt.

Kenneth Koller

Offline Laudanum

Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 07:29:38 AM
I think Doc mentioned that he hadnt seen it split before.  I was really just commenting on that.   It very well could have just been too much heat.  Based on your melting the sleeving and cracking the plug, it probably was.   Like you mention, just consider it lesson learned.  Good way to look at it.   ;)

Desmond G.

Offline ditdah

Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 08:58:48 AM
I added a clarification to my comment previously...I didn't crack the plug...  I only split the heatshrink and melted the sleeve where it joined the heatshrink.  Just sayin...don't want you all to think I'm THAT bad   :P
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:10:53 AM by ditdah »

Kenneth Koller

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 02:32:27 PM
You don't want to be known as Mr. All Thumbs.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:09:47 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 05:20:19 PM
I've found that the shrink ratio of the tube has an effect, the higher the ratio the more prone to heat damage. I have had 4:1 and 3:1 split on me due to leaving the gun in one place to long.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Laudanum

Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 02:04:02 AM
I should have mentioned that, good point, keep the heat moving some kinda like blowdrying hair ... from memory.  The only hair that I have to blowdry now is the Cats after a bath  ;D   
3:1 was what I used at work but that was industrial stuff,  so thick and tough that it would blister without splitting ... unless it had a partial slit in it.   The consumer shrink isnt nearly that tough but it doesnt need to be.

Desmond G.

Offline ditdah

Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 05:13:22 AM
Just found out how to attach pictures   ;D

Kenneth Koller

Offline ditdah

Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 05:14:42 AM
...and the build...sorry for the quality of the pictures...not my strong point with a camera phone.

Kenneth Koller

Offline Grainger49

Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 06:06:52 AM
There is yet another way to link pictures with no size limitations.

Lookie here at my FAQ Thread.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:09:22 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline ditdah

Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 07:12:07 AM
Appreciate that.   :)

Kenneth Koller