Not so obvious problem RESOLVED

ditdah · 8638

Offline ditdah

on: September 14, 2012, 12:23:54 PM
Crack with speedball install.  I could use some advise...direction...guidance.

I've gone through the entire install 3 times now and can't figure out my problem.  I've done the following:
-reheated every solder joint
-verified connections as per the install instructions
---I connected terminal 4 on the transformer to 14U...as stated on page 19
-verified capacitor orientation
-verified LED orientation
-verified transistor orientation

Resistance checks (without power and tubes) were seemingly OK...except for the following:
Terminal 7 -      7.5K ohms
B3 -                 7.9K ohms and rising...should be 2.9K ohms
B6 -                 2.2K ohms and rising...should be 2.9K ohms
RCA center -     2.5K ohms...should be 90-100K ohms
...I assumed this to be possibly OK because of the speedball...so, I powered up.

Voltage checks (power and tubes installed)
Initial findings:
-output tube glows strongly...no glow at all from the 12AU7
-in every instance where there are LED's...1 of the 2 aren't lit up.  The exception being the ones on the center pin of the 12AU7 socket...they both glow.
Terminal 1 -      65VDC and dropping...should be 75 VDC
Terminal 2 -      177VDC, rapid drop to 70VDC and dropping...should be 170VDC
Terminal 4 -      69.4VDC...should be 170VDC
Terminal 5 -      62VDC and dropping...should be 75VDC
Terminal 7 -      53.1VDC...should be 100VDC
Terminal 9 -      52.5VDC...should be 100VDC
Terminal 13 -    65.2VDC...should be 170VDC
Terminal 15 -    found the resistor there sitting in melted solder!  I had to stop and unplug at that point...something is obviously wrong.

Now, I've been through the instructions 3 times...rechecked everything...re-soldered...etc etc...  I don't see where my problem is.  Any suggestions?  I guess my next step is to remove the speedball, install the 4 resistors and give that a shot...but I wanted to check in here first.  
I just don't see how I could have gone that wrong on the install.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:51:30 AM by ditdah »

Kenneth Koller

Offline ditdah

Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 01:06:51 PM
ok...did a little looking around and there's another person here who has a problem with similar symptoms as I have.  His post:  http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,2976.0.html

I see his LED issue is nearly identical to mine...and voltage readings are similar...  I then found out...the metal transistors...I've installed them exactly in the wrong locations.  I have the ones that should be on the small pcb installed on the big one...and VS.  Question is...can that cause the melting solder I've experienced?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:05:25 PM by ditdah »

Kenneth Koller

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 01:37:09 PM
You definitely need to fix the mixed up transistors. That may well solve the hot resistor.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ditdah

Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 04:58:43 PM
I've taken the speedball out of the circuit completely...installed the 4 resistors...and all resistance and voltage checks are perfect.  Amp works great.  So...that exercise was just to make sure I didn't destroy anything.  I'm impressed it held up after melting like that.  I'm guessing I may have shortened it's life a bit...but hey, all readings are just about bang on with the instructions.

I don't know what I was thinking when I installed those metal can transistors.  Even though it's clearly marked in the instructions...I "assumed" they were all the same and just installed.  I'll never assume like that again.

Now...how about some tips on removing those metal can transistors?  I tried a bulb solder sucker...and that's just too damn hard to do.  I tried some wick as well...worked to a point but I can't get those damn things out of there.  Any suggestions? 

Other than the time and money lost (mostly the time)...I'm not really heartbroken that the speedball isn't installed.  The base kit sounds really good.  It's dead quiet...not a hum, crack or anything.   

I'm really enjoying floyd via an iBasso DX100 into some Beyerdynamics T1's.

Kenneth Koller

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 06:08:29 PM
Now...how about some tips on removing those metal can transistors?  I tried a bulb solder sucker...and that's just too damn hard to do.  I tried some wick as well...worked to a point but I can't get those damn things out of there.  Any suggestions? 

Get a helper. Give your helper pliers to pull out each leg, one at a time as you heat and solder suck the pad.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ditdah

Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 06:19:25 PM
Well, lesson learnt...next time, leave enough room to put pliers under the transistors...so your helper can get a grip on each leg.   :P

I'll give it another shot tomorrow when my patience has returned.  Thanks Doc

Kenneth Koller

Offline Laudanum

Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 01:43:53 AM
If they are flush to the board, personally, I'd probably just cut them out and desolder and remove one leg segment at a time then replace them with new ones.    But, it can probably be done with some persistance, and some help as Doc mentioned. 

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 03:15:23 AM
Well, lesson learnt...next time, leave enough room to put pliers under the transistors...so your helper can get a grip on each leg.   :P

I'll give it another shot tomorrow when my patience has returned.  Thanks Doc

It is also a good practice, for the future, to leave the leads on transistors long so that the heat doesn't get into the junction.  Too much heat permanently damages the junction.  A hot iron or a slow one can make the transistor useless.

Offline ditdah

Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 05:01:23 AM
Appreciate the input about leaving more lead space...will do so next time around.

I left space between the pcb and transistor...just not enough for pliers to get into.  I think I'm going to have to just cut them off as commented.  I was already thinking about that honestly.

Kenneth Koller

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 12:57:37 AM
Did the same thing with my transistors, taught me a good lesson. Read and follow the instructions step by step. Doesn't mean you won't make a mistake, but makes it less probable.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 03:56:10 PM
regarding getting those transistors out -- do you have a heat gun for heatshrink tubing? If so, you can make a heat shield out of a piece of aluminum foil with a hole cut in it just a bit bigger than the area of the 3 leads.  Clamp the pc board in a vise, affix the heat shield you just made, grab the transistor with some pliers, and heat the 3 solder pads concurrently with the heat gun.

Also, one of those little 2-piece scribes can be used to get under the transistor.

Yes, the bulb solder suckers are almost useless, but the good spring-loaded ones with the aluminum body (weller makes a very nice one) can do a great job with a bit of practice.

As for mixing up the transistors on the speedball -- you're certainly not the first to do it, and you won't be the last either :-).

Good luck,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline ditdah

Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 04:03:14 PM
All,
Appreciate the advise.  All of which I'll look into...including the heat gun.  I have a nice milwaukee heatgun...but as I found out last night...maybe too powerful.  I destroyed the mesh stuff and it melted...and the heatshrink split on the power cord I was making!  It's not pretty.  I tell ya...had to wrap it all up in electrical tape...but it works just fine   ;)

you know...just like with the speedball and the base crack kit.  I was so happy I was doing such a good job...only for something to go wrong.  Well, I'm over it...I'll have to find some way of correcting that some day.

mistake after mistake...man...makes me feel young again.  hahaha...it's incredible what you forget over the years if you aren't doing this stuff all the time.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:16:06 AM by ditdah »

Kenneth Koller

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 04:10:22 PM
Aluminum foil is your friend in that situation too :-).  Just make a cone out of foil (like a dog would wear) and cover all the nylon mesh and just leave the heat shrink exposed.  Works like a champ -- never melted any mesh since using this technique.

HTH,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline ditdah

Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 04:12:13 PM
Much appreciated Jim.  I'll try just that when I get my S.E.X. 2.1 in...I ordered a power cord kit for that as well.  Hopefully I don't slaughter that one too!  I'm confident and appreciate the tip!

Cheers,
Ken

Kenneth Koller

Offline Grainger49

Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 02:47:36 AM
All,

Appreciate the advise.  All of which I'll look into...including the head gun.  I have a nice milwaukee heatgun...but as I found out last night...maybe too powerful.  I destroyed the mesh stuff and it melted...and the heatshrink split on the power cord I was making!  It's not pretty.  I tell ya...had to wrap it all up in electrical tape...but it works just fine   ;)   .  .  .   

I have a heat gun I bought 15 years ago, refurbished.  I don't remember the manufacturer but it has two settings:  Extremely Hot and Way Too Hot For Anything!

The Tech-Flex on my Bottlehead power cords have the same problem.  I feel your pain.