QueenBottlehead · 26519

Offline QueenBottlehead

• Administrator
on: September 18, 2012, 04:34:52 PM
This is an awesome video about soldering up a Crack kit -

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:11:18 PM by Doc B. »

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 05:14:56 PM
Wow, Tyll did a whole video on building the Crack, that's awesome. InnerFidelity is a great site.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 10:51:22 PM
That should be a Must See video for all new builders.

Thanks for linking it.

Did he break in the tubes first?

Offline Tyll Hertsens

Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 03:50:25 AM
That should be a Must See video for all new builders.

Thanks for linking it.

Did he break in the tubes first?

I ran it in for about 30 hours before listening. Hope that was enough.

Here's a link to the InnerFidelity article: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/marvelously-addictive-bottlehead-crack

Big thanks to all here for supporting this product and the DIY activity as a whole. Great stuff!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 04:01:28 AM
Tyll,

I think it is great that you took all that time to both build the kit and do the comparison.  Not to mention that the video will be a great help our newbies (to kits).  I started on kits in 1965.  What a piece of crap that was!

Breaking it in for 30 hours will get you a goodly percentage of break in.  Paul Joppa and Dan suggest that most will happen by 100 hours.  Of course the tubes used also have a lot to do with the sound character as well.  Since the driver tubes were not the same you couldn't have just swapped the tubes to keep that on a level keel.

Sorry, I'm an engineer so I wonder about one to one comparisons.  It is a sickness but I haven't found a treatment.

Again, I am happy to have this link on the site for guys who don't know how to solder.  That, and your advice, will be a boon to Bottlehead.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 04:18:23 AM
Thanks so much Tyll! The video is awesome, as is the article. Your dedication to and support of all things headphones is truly admirable. I will link to the article on our Crack product page.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Tyll Hertsens

Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 04:33:21 AM
Thanks Doc. See you at RMAF!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 04:39:42 AM
Unfortunately I won't be at RMAF. I have taken a year's hiatus from trade shows to concentrate on using our own facility for demos and events. We even have a brewery next door now.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Tyll Hertsens

Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 04:51:16 AM
Unfortunately I won't be at RMAF. I have taken a year's hiatus from trade shows to concentrate on using our own facility for demos and events. We even have a brewery next door now.

Ooooo!!! Maybe I need to come visit then!

Sorry, I though I saw you on the exhibitor list. You'll be missed.

I had a friend staying here as I built the amp. He's in Seattle and noted your address. If you see JJ sometime soon tell him I said "Hi!"

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 05:19:52 AM
Tyll,

Really nice article -- thanks for the video too -- I hope I can use this to get a couple buddies of mine to cross the line into DIY audio.

Next you need to try the S.e.x. 2.1 with some HiFiMAN HE-400/500s. :-)

Can't wait for the follow-up after some tweaks, tube rolling and the speedball.

-- Jim

P.S. -- Doc, sorry you won't be at the show this year -- thattakes away a goodly part of why I would want to go.

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 05:33:28 AM
Sorry guys, between dealing with my mom's estate and getting all these new products online there's just too much going on this year. Maybe the next one.

Truth be told our analysis indicates that we get much more sales traffic from great reviews like Tyll's than we do from doing the shows. As fun as they are socially, they require a somewhat disproportionate outlay of funds for exposure to a relatively small audience. Plus I can't haul my big dog system around - but it sounds really good here at Bottleheadquarters these days and we love visitors. In fact we've had quite a few folks stop by for a listen in the past couple of weeks.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Tyll Hertsens

Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 05:57:28 AM
FWIW Doc, I had the same impression of the efficacy of trade shows while at HeadRoom.  We ended up going to one or two big ones about every third year. Shows also make it easy for us press folks to meet vendors and get excited about product, so there's that. But I understand your predicament well.

Maybe I'll convince myself a motorcycle ride to Seattle for a visit will be worth while at some point. My inner motorcyclist is half way there.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 06:28:51 AM
Ahh, a visit would be most exceptional. We could sample some Tape Project tapes, a few headphone rigs, some fine PNW microbrew and there's even an organic distillery across the parking lot.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Tyll Hertsens

Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 07:50:30 AM
Oh my...I'm swooning now.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 04:04:48 PM
great, I love the color resistor chart at the end...John   

John Scanlon