Possible heat issue?

davantalus · 1897

Offline davantalus

on: September 22, 2012, 09:20:27 PM
Crack assembled! Voltages check out and the sounds are heavenly. Powder coated pictures to follow eventually. :)

I've notice that my chassis gets uncomfortably hot to the touch. I was expecting the tubes to run hot, and the chassis to run a bit warm... but I wasn't expecting to be unable to pickup the chassis after powering it down.

Is this typical? Anyone have thoughts?

What's the melting point of the insulator material?

Offline Laudanum

Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 12:01:06 AM
Try a related search of this forum.   This seems to be a common question and I think there have been replies from the Bottlehead guys themselves.

Desmond G.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 07:10:28 AM
Yeah, it gets very warm because the cathode resistors under the chassis get hot. That's why there are cooling vents. If your voltages are correct you have nothing to worry about.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline davantalus

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:38:54 AM
Strange!  Maybe I'm crazy is it possible that my Crack has "cooled down" a bit since first run?

The chassis plate seems to have gone from "blazing" to "pretty warm" at similar listening levels.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:51:31 AM
You could remeasure the voltages and see if anything has changed. If the voltage across a cathode resistor has lowered the power dissipation has lowered and it will be radiating less heat. P=V2/R

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Mak33

Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 06:46:36 PM
Crack assembled! Voltages check out and the sounds are heavenly. Powder coated pictures to follow eventually. :)

I've notice that my chassis gets uncomfortably hot to the touch. I was expecting the tubes to run hot, and the chassis to run a bit warm... but I wasn't expecting to be unable to pickup the chassis after powering it down.

Is this typical? Anyone have thoughts?

What's the melting point of the insulator material?

I'm with you davantalus... Maybe it's just my low pain tolerance, but I could not describe my chassis as "warm" when it's on for over an hour.  If some believe that "warm" is just below a burning sensation to your skin, then maybe my definition of "warm" is a bit off, but I'd call it hot.  I haven't taken a thermometer to it, but it might be interesting to see the value.

Another point... I'm using an aluminum knob on the POT with no plastic or insulating core and it also gets warm.  Not nearly as hot as the chassis, but definitely warm to the touch.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:50:23 PM by Mak33 »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 02:00:57 AM
I started a FAQ Thread.  Heat is question #4.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:06:32 AM by Grainger49 »