Huge Wiring Mess

Tickwomp · 2245

Offline Tickwomp

on: September 23, 2012, 11:10:00 AM
Lol, how hard can this really be?  Since I've been pretty caught up on audio projects, I though I'd take another a different kind of project.  This is a Factory Five Roadster non-donor build all the goodies.  Will have between 500 to 525 HP to the wheels and weigh in at about 2300 pounds.  Should get down the road pretty well.  

I just started the wiring this weekend (actually been building for about a year and a half), and thought of my Bottlehead buddies and thought I'd share.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:11:37 AM by Tickwomp »

Mach2 Mac Mini->Amarra Mini-> Chronos Athena USB Cable->Audio Note 4.1LE DAC->24ga Ag w/WBT0101ag ICs-> Audio Note L4 Remote->24ga Ag w/WBT0102Ag ICs-> Paramounts w/MQ Nickel Opts and EML 2a3 Mesh Plates->16ga Ag Bi Wire->Klipsch RF-7 w/DeanG Mods

Offline glynnw

Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 06:51:06 AM
I hope you realize by showing us these pictures you are now obligated to visit each of us and take us for a ride when you complete this.  I have often thought about doing what you have undertaken, but it is just too daunting a project for me.  My attention span is about 10 minutes, on a good day.  Please post pictures when completed.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 02:38:10 PM
I hope you realize by showing us these pictures you are now obligated to visit each of us and take us for a ride when you complete this.  I have often thought about doing what you have undertaken, but it is just too daunting a project for me.  My attention span is about 10 minutes, on a good day.  Please post pictures when completed.

What he said.  Edit: I didn't mention, I live 45 minutes drive from The Tail Of The Dragon.  Google it.

DeTomasto used to wire cars point to point, then Ford bought them and taught them the days of saved labor by having wiring harnesses made.  Then DeTomasto bought itself back from Ford and flourished.  And not just because of wiring harnesses.  This was the heyday of the Pantera
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:17:31 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline Tickwomp

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 05:51:36 AM
I can't see wiring a car from scratch to be that difficult.  Altering or adding wiring on some unibody EFI car from the past 20 years is a pain in the ass.

No, it's not very difficult at all.  The hardest part is putting bundles of wire in locations that don't get too hot and protect them from abrasion, and making it look good.  Plenty of room behind the dash for the puse panel and wiring, but I'm holding myself to a pretty high standard and want it to be well laid out, organized, and look good too(even if it's hiden from view). 

Pretty basic stuff here: Headlights, tail lights, brake lights, blinkers, horn and guages.  Throw in the heavier ignition, alternator, and battery stuff and that's it.  I'm skipping the heater, electric windshield wipers (will use mechanical "clip on" for inspection), and stereo.  The only comfort item I'm going with is heated seats.

Mach2 Mac Mini->Amarra Mini-> Chronos Athena USB Cable->Audio Note 4.1LE DAC->24ga Ag w/WBT0101ag ICs-> Audio Note L4 Remote->24ga Ag w/WBT0102Ag ICs-> Paramounts w/MQ Nickel Opts and EML 2a3 Mesh Plates->16ga Ag Bi Wire->Klipsch RF-7 w/DeanG Mods

Offline John Roman

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 04:49:10 AM
Verrrrry interesting,
I'm working on a harness for the motor on my 88 M3.
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay