choosing a deck

ditdah · 6849

Offline ditdah

on: October 04, 2012, 05:45:38 PM
Not sure if this is the appropriate area to start this post...but here we go.

I'm starting to get pretty interested in a reel to reel deck.  I have a few initial questions.
-if you have a 2 track player...I've been told the audio can be higher quality due to more tape being used for the playback...instead of 4 track.  that true?
-can a 2 track player play 4 track recordings?
-can a 4 track player play 2 track recordings?
-what makes a deck "professional"?
-I'm looking at a Sansui 7000...  whats the big deal (if anything) about being "hifi"? compared to other decks?  desirable feature?

Kenneth Koller

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 06:56:39 PM
I always like to hear of folks wanting to get into R2R!
Why do you want to? To record? To playback an existing library of tapes? To subscribe the The Tape Project?  Your motivation makes a big difference as to what deck(s) to seek.

What media do you currently have and/or want?

The best quality media, currently available is 2 channel dubs of master tapes recorded for playback at 15 IPS. The Tape Project is obviously best known here! (I have none ;-(  !!)
IMO, the best commercially recorded tapes are 2 track 7.5 IPS.
The greatest selection of titles is 4 track 7.5 IPS.
Many early rock recordings were done 4 track 3 3/4 IPS,some sound alright, but the only choice for some titles.

A deck must have playback heads for each format.  Again your media dictates.  I use Otari MX5050's with switchable 2 and 4 track heads, because I have both formats.  I also have a Teac SX4300 that plays only 4 tract but has auto-reverse for convenience.  Casual background music, the Teac. ) lately, more the Squeezebox)  Serious listening session... the Otari.

What makes a deck a "pro"?  Manufacturers' targeted market. Built like tanks, few "bells and whistles" built to be simple. Reliable, modular, studio serviceable. (Ampex, Studer, etc.)  Next would be prosumer such as Otari and Tascam.  High build quality, better quality parts, serviceable. Consumer decks are just that. Not necessarily bad, but usually trading "bells and whistle" for sound quality and reliability.

Sansui SD7000...Why?  "HiFi" is marketing, nothing else.

Hope this helps.  Would be great to have another R2R fan!  I love my R2R's and have a decent sized library of 2 & 4 tract tapes.  I use a BottleHead Seduction for direct from head playback.  I bypass the solid state amp boards on the Otaris.  Now that is "HiFi"  with substance!! 

Cheers,

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline ditdah

Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 07:25:30 PM
I have no high quality source material at the moment...I'd be starting from scratch.  So, I have no intention of creating my own tapes from my existing library.  My intention is to seek out pre recorded tapes and buy them for playback.  ...and...hopefully, gain some acquaintances and get some music dubbed over for me that way...if they happen to have anything I wanted to listen to.  However, I seem to be alone in my interests.  Most everyone I bother to associate with all look at me like pigs staring at a wristwatch when I talk about my guitars, amps...music...etc.

I would probably tinker a bit with recording...simply me on my guitars...nothing more.  I think that would be fun...but the main intention of the deck is to have the best audio experience possible as far as playback of artists I want to listen to.

I'm going to be purchasing/building a paramount...  just can't decide if I want 300b or 2A3...  leaning towards 2A3...but honestly have no idea yet.  So, I intend to use the deck with this amp.

As far as the Sansui...it was one of 2 I'm looking at.  I was only looking at the Sansui because the seller was speaking well about it.  The other deck, which I'm most likely going to be getting...is an Otari 5050...  It's currently going through refurbishment and I haven't locked in the deal yet...but my trigger finger is itchy. The seller did mention it was 2 track and could also play back the 4 track.  My hope, is to find some great 2 track tapes...but I wanted to be able to play both 2 and 4 track...and I don't really have room for more than 1 machine.  I do think I'll ultimately end up with more than 1 player eventually...but for now...just the 1.

Kenneth Koller

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 03:40:40 AM
Get an Otari MX-5050 BII2 or BIII. That's probably the best bang for the buck right now.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ditdah

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 03:48:21 AM
Roger that...that's the way I'm steering.  The deck I'm most likely going to go for is an Otari MX 5050 BII.  Is it allowable for me to post the price?  I'd like to ask if it's reasonable to pay this amount or not...  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 04:34:23 AM by ditdah »

Kenneth Koller

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 04:23:53 AM
1) if you have a 2 track player...I've been told the audio can be higher quality   .  .  .  that true?
2) can a 2 track player play 4 track recordings?
3) can a 4 track player play 2 track recordings?
4) what makes a deck "professional"?
5) I'm looking at a Sansui 7000...  whats the big deal (if anything) about being "hifi"? compared to other decks?

I have owned a few RTR decks and had my hands on many others when I sold audio gear.

1) 2 track gives a higher signal to noise ratio, it is quieter.  I also think that it can also take a stronger signal but I'm not sure.

2) Two track and half track requires two heads, one for 1/4 track one for 1/2 track.  Some decks have this arrangement.

3) See above.

4) Usually the marketing department.  Unless it was used for making original master recordings for commercial release it isn't what I would call professional.

5) Hi-Fi means High Fidelity, or accuracy to the original sound.  It, in this case, is again marketing.  The deck may be a fine deck, but the words are meaningless like the word "actually" is today.  Overused and the meaning is lost.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 07:37:08 AM
Get an Otari MX-5050 BII2 or BIII. That's probably the best bang for the buck right now.

+1  ;D

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Offline ditdah

Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 06:06:38 PM
Is there a list of reputable r2r deck refurbishers?  ...or...can anyone recommend some?  ...particularly those that would refurbish Otari mx5050's?

Kenneth Koller

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 09:06:14 AM
I would suggest that if you find a deck and it needs to be "refurbished", pass and find a better unit.  Doesn

ALEXZ

Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 01:45:28 PM
Hi,
if you are looking only to play 1/4 track 7.5 ips pre-recorded tapes, in my experince better invest more in vinyl playback.  Totaly different story with 1/2track, 15 ips, that is a "reference" media.  if you  are not looking for a studio-class  machine and want to have an ability to play both 1/2 and 1/4 track tapes at  3.25 / 7.5 and 15 ips,  then Otari 5050 or Technics RS-1500  is the ticket. Both machine have very good  playback.heads and both have terrible playback electronics.
Personally i went  all the way with technics rs-1506. The biggest improvement come with the outboard playback amp. (Eros, now  with number of upgrades and mods.), the second one was Bottlehead tape path upgrade and finlaly flux magnetics playback head (nice thing, but relapped stock heads are also not bad at all).
All headblock work on my deck was done by  JFR magnetics - pleasure to deal with.
Cheers!