The Truth About Solder:

Grainger49 · 8438

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 08:06:03 AM
I tried to post earlier but the bottom row of keys were not working.  I can't do without them.  (new keyboard, reseated like a tube, it works!)

Ok, I'm too cheap to buy the fume extractor since the fan was $8 20 years ago.  I might have mentioned, the smoke blows toward the bathroom where the exhaust fan is running.

Offline DoS

Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 08:54:09 AM
I find a dusk mask (not the cheapest type, thicker cotton with a breath valve) prevent sinus infections for myself.

Offline corndog71

Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 11:47:16 AM
Ever notice how that whisp of solder fumes seems to "want" to go right up your nose? 

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 11:50:24 AM
The trick is never breath in. Just breath out.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 03:42:17 PM
Yep, thats what I do, time your breaths and walk away if you run out of air, the solder should be complete by then anyway. Its soldering, vs. welding.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 04:52:11 PM
Of course I was just kidding.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Yoder

Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 08:33:36 AM
I find a dusk mask (not the cheapest type, thicker cotton with a breath valve) prevent sinus infections for myself.

You can buy the charcoal impregnated ones for about $8. I used one the day they refinished some hardwood floors in our house, and I could not smell a thing.  Take it off and five minutes later you felt like, what I can only guess, you had a glue sniffing high. I even chose to wear one instead of my respirator mask when the fire hit this year.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 06:25:19 PM
Many moons ago I designed automated circuit pack conveying equipment. Most of which interfaced with wave solder machines. I also designed several manual re-work stations. Some had as many as 40 positions for technicians and all of them had solder stations. My customer was concerned about having that many solder stations producing smoke. I designed a system using an industrial fume extraction process from a company called Fumex. They are still in business today. http://www.fumexinc.com/ Yes it's a bit impractical for home use. The subject just brought back some memories from back in the mid 1980's. hopefully nobody finds this post too off topic.

4krow

Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 12:04:19 AM
On the contrary NS, I find your post to be informative. Makes me wonder what other methods might be used. For example, ionization units. Interestingly, the unit I used to use in my home was too powerful at times, and actually caused throat irritation. I sold it, but was now aware that some things can be a two edged sword.