Is it possible the Crack gets quiter?

mackat · 1773

Offline mackat

on: October 22, 2012, 08:53:38 PM
I've noticed that after a while of it being powered up, I seem to have to turn the volume up a bit more. This is even without listening to music until then, I think. Any ideas, or is it just me?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 09:09:42 PM
I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would account for a significantly audible difference, but there are sonic changes that occur during warmup, and perhaps this is what you're reacting to.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Nick Tam

• "Crack on Crack"
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 12:20:15 AM
For one, the tubes need around a full 18-20 seconds to power up so it's probably not a wise idea to plug in your headphones immediately

Bottlehead Crack

Source: Fostex HP-A4
Cans: Sennheiser HD700
Sylvania GB6080 + Sylvania VT-231

Offline Laudanum

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 02:21:37 AM
2 things.   On some CD's and LP's, the level is different between tracks.   Same would apply to MP3 or Flac or whatever format, especially between music from playlists where the source of the music is vastly different.  Im not big into computers as a music source and I think there are programs that can equalize the levels,  but not taking those into consideration, this could explain it.
Secondly, our brains get sensitized to a certian level and we can have a tendency to keep wanting to turn it up.   I know you stated that you are noticing the effect without listening beforehand, but I dont quite understand that part of your question/observation.  How would you notice it wasnt as "loud" if you didnt listen beforehand in order to have a reference? 

Desmond G.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 04:15:59 AM
 When tubes are cold they tend to be a little more harsh sounding, then smooth out as they warm up. Are you perhaps hearing more treble energy at first?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 04:27:08 AM
I was going to say Psycho-acoustics, but in conjunction with what Dan said above, I usually turn my stereo up a little after 5-15 minutes of listening.

Offline mackat

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 07:03:08 PM
Thanks guys, I have a feeling it's a combination of warm-up (I still wait a minute or a few before plugging the 'phones in), different tracks and just getting used to it. Thanks for all the help again!