backorders have finally arrived!

Doc B. · 6446

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: October 29, 2012, 11:16:47 AM
We finally got the back ordered RCA plugs in and I just spent a few hours packing a huge pile of cable kits. Watch for your kits to arrive later this week. We should have the instructions on line pretty soon too.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 01:08:11 PM
Thanks Doc,
Kit arrived today.  Is there anything special to the assembly or can I just "insert Tab A into Slot B and solder"?

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 01:26:43 PM
Tech writer Josh has a new job so it may be a few days before we have the official manual online.  Here's how I did 'em:
Thread the cable through the Tech Flex. You can temporarily wrap the end of the Tech Flex with tape if you are concerned about it unraveling. Slip the barrels and plastic sleeves over the tech flex so they are on the cable before you solder the RCA plugs to the cable. I strip the black jacket back about 1/2", then the inner insulator about 3/16". The inner conductor goes through the small hole in the back end of the RCA center pin and gets soldered. I twist the shield wire together and simply solder it to the outer shell part just ahead of the crimp tabs, making sure it lays pretty flat so the barrel will slip over it. Pull the tape of the end of the tech flex if you used it, and crimp ends of the tabs over both the cable and the Tech Flex so the Tech flex doesn't move around. slip the clear sleeve over the connections and thread on the barrel. A third hand tool makes the job relatively painless.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 01:41:16 PM
Thanks for the "Readers Digest" version.   I think I"ll put these together while I wait on the ghosts and goblins to raid my candy stash.

So, they should be magical right out of the box?  Or do I have to like play Wagner's Ring for 20 straight hours for the crystalline structure of the blah, blah aligns to blah, blah, blah... :)  :D

Really though, is there some break in required?

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:44:49 PM
They seem to work well right out of the box. Some other interconnects made with similar cable but different RCA plugs seemed to take a while to break in. So is it RCAs that need to break in? I dunno.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 04:52:24 PM
Manual is underway (photos were already shot and I have started writing), and I have tomorrow off. My plan is to plow through it and have it wrapped ASAP.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus