I hate this 'gd' Quickie!

earwaxxer · 3720

Offline earwaxxer

on: October 29, 2012, 04:29:01 PM
Seriously, this thing has been the bane to my existence! I really want to advance beyond it, but it keeps bringing me back. My Quickie looks like a POS, mainly because I have neglected putting anything into making it look good. Ok, that's my deal, but also, I dont have hardly any money in it! I mean, come on, 'you get what you paid for' right?

Since the Quicie, I have 'advanced' my system quite a bit. New amp, interconnects, speaker wire, DAC. I got the latest, up to date kit, that sounds great compared to the 20th century stuff. I mean, this time we live in now, IMO, is the greatest time for budget audiophiles in history!

So, my thinking is, that the Quickie will start showing its limits, when its pressed up against what the market can produce in a recession etc. no such luck.

In summary, I painstakingly took the Quickie out of the circuit after I had some good couch time with my new Schiit Gungnir DAC. I really liked the Gungnir from the get go over my Transporter.

The question was: can the sound be even better with just the Gungnir, using the Transporter as a preamp? Well, at first I thought yes, but after a bit of time at higher volumes the Quickie pushed its way back in. I'm sorry, but the 'gd' Quickie just keeps pleasing! Its that 'tubiness'! I'm an addict.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 12:45:11 AM
Sounds like a problem for a 12 step program.  I say steps 1-12 are to buy more music.

Offline corndog71

Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 04:10:22 AM
I'm right there with you, buddy. ;D  The Quickie is a huge step up from my old Foreplay 2.  With the right mods it easily beats the preamp section of my NAD and Bryston integrated amps.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:41:17 AM
IMHO one of the secrets is the battery supply.  No AC anywhere!

Offline Wanderer

Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 04:50:44 AM
I love it.

Brings back the time when "high end" meant "off the beaten path" as opposed to the current meaning of "impossibly expensive".

Kevin R-M

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 05:17:12 AM
thanks guys! - Granger - I agree - I have been buying more music! I'm going to be hosting a pre-Stones tour 'concert' at my house for some friends that are hard core Stones fans. The pressure is on for the Quickie to perform!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 05:53:37 AM
In addition to the battery power, I suspect the directly-heated cathode plays a role. I've never seen a plausible theory why, but many have made the correlation; it's what led us to the BeePre.

Hmmm... how about a battery-powered BeePre? I think one truck battery plus maybe 20 motorcycle batteries would do it...

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 06:03:41 AM
Hmmm... how about a battery-powered BeePre? I think one truck battery plus maybe 20 motorcycle batteries would do it...

Ugh, you know who would have to haul all those batteries up to Doc's listening room!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 07:57:04 AM

That is an interesting thought! What grid voltage range could the 300b be happy with?

Eric

4krow

Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 10:46:32 AM
I'm thinkin of usin a pace maker for a power supply....works for me.

On the other side of things, I would agree that the battery power supply in the Quickie is indeed, the silver bullet.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 10:54:55 AM
Greg,

Me too, but it supplies 2V (in my case) for very short bursts.