Design intent

johnjen · 8421

Offline johnjen

on: October 30, 2012, 01:05:15 PM
I just ordered a second cable kit and a question occurs to me to ask about a construction detail.  Namely why are the wires only stripped to 1/4"?

In my time as a tech when I'd make up power cables I was under the impression that a larger contact patch between the wires and the metal that pinched them was a desirable thing.  Is there a sonic (or other) reason for staying with 1/4"?

Just wondering.

JJ

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 02:06:40 PM
I don't want noobs leaving too much wire bare and shorting out the connections. But of course you can do it however you like.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnjen

Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 04:57:35 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I can see where stray strands could light up their life, at least for a very brief moment.  :D

I think I'm going to go back in and re-terminate, just to see if I can hear any difference

Offline johnjen

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 02:14:31 PM
Yeah I re-terminated the 'old' cable and made sure it had as big a contact patch as possible given the existing parts.

I can't say I'm hearing any difference from this one change.  But then I've been making a bunch of changes and the overall effect is improvement across the board.

But the initial addition of the cable DID make a noticeable difference.

JJ :thumb

Offline najo49

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 09:28:16 AM
Thanks Doc, for yet another blast to the Newbie.I am starting a forum to bring newbie right to alls attention.I for example know that striping a wire 1/4 or 3/8 is never going to change the sound on anything. Please see my post on graduation.I now bow to the west,i am in wyo. and prostrate myself 1/4 to 3/8 times.Jann o.

Jann Olsen, [email protected].  Lowther medallion 2 with pm2a./ extended foreplay lll,/EROS phono /Grado ref/ SOTA star Vacuum SME V, /  45 amp direct coupled,c4s,mQ nickel  / paramour  2a3 w MQ iron /Original SEX monos /Jena Cables /heathkit wm6a/ proAc Tablette 50 sig , with push pull

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 07:06:57 AM
I have re-evaluated the post counts for various member groups and redone them in a fashion more appropriate to the distribution, i.e, 5 hero members with over 1000 posts, 17 Sr. members with over 250 posts, around 80 full members at 50+ posts and 250+ Jr. members with 10+. That leaves well over 1000 newbs. So hey you newbs - don't be shy to ask questions!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.